1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Religion = Non-thinking

Cannondale F7 co2 or Specialized Rockhopper?

i'm looking for a new moutainbike in the range of $500.

i'm looking at the two bikes in the title, which would u guys recomment?

my local shop sells the rockhopper for $500 and the F7 for $600, is the cannondale f7 worth the extra $100?

mtbr member
    I assume the rockhopper you are looking at is the v-brake version.

I looked at both early in my shopping (before I doubled my budget), and I think the rockhopper actually has a better selection of components and a better fork.

However, the important thing is to make sure the bike fits you right.
    I would recommend taking a step down in components if it means the bike fits you better. Components can always be changed later when they break or wear.

Get the best bike you can in your budget that fits you well.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cannondale still does some weird bike specific parts. So upgrading some things like the fork and the bb can be tricky. I really like specialized. If they fit about the same (good point cdeftekar) I'd go with the specialized.

Religion = Non-thinking
    hows the quality of the specialized vs comparable cannondale? should i believe in all that "made in USA" stuff?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    hows the quality of the specialized vs comparable cannondale? should i believe in all that "made in USA" stuff?
    F5 and higher are not made in the US. Made in taiwan and still a good frame.
    rockhopper is a good frame but i'm not crazy about some of the high gloss paint jobs.
    buy the one that feels best to you.

mtbr member
    What exactly is different or C-Dale specific?

Just get the one that fits best, at any price point all the major brands are pretty much the same but the fit can be very different, the F7 was never made in the US and soon none of the C-dales will be. (6 of one half dozen of the other, just get a good fit and from a helpful LBS)

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by mlepito
    Cannondale still does some weird bike specific parts. So upgrading some things like the fork and the bb can be tricky. I really like specialized. If they fit about the same (good point cdeftekar) I'd go with the specialized.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee
    What exactly is different or C-Dale specific?

Just get the one that fits best, at any price point all the major brands are pretty much the same but the fit can be very different, the F7 was never made in the US and soon none of the C-dales will be. (6 of one half dozen of the other, just get a good fit and from a helpful LBS)

Ray

You know what, I stand corrected. This bike has no priority parts on it. Sorry for the confusion. A lot of Cannondale bikes run larger BB's and larger headtubes for thier lefty and headshocks. I thought this one had a headshock on it. My bad, I should have looked it up instead of shooting from memory.

mtbr member
    Not a fan of strange proprietary gear either but the Headshock stuff is easy to deal with reducer headsets are cheap if you want a regular fork... I didnt know the BB's could be specific on some models... that sounds expensive for a guy like me who buys last years "un cool" stuff on ebay to save some money

The fit is key, I have no idea why bikes are sized by the seat tube.... my friends large Trek feels MUCH smaller than another s large F5 (but the seat tube is shorter on the F5).... wouldn't it be better to use the top tube as a size?

You know what, I stand corrected. This bike has no priority parts on it. Sorry for the confusion. A lot of Cannondale bikes run larger BB's and larger headtubes for thier lefty and headshocks. I thought this one had a headshock on it. My bad, I should have looked it up instead of shooting from memory.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee
    Not a fan of strange proprietary gear either but the Headshock stuff is easy to deal with reducer headsets are cheap if you want a regular fork... I didnt know the BB's could be specific on some models... that sounds expensive for a guy like me who buys last years "un cool" stuff on ebay to save some money

The fit is key, I have no idea why bikes are sized by the seat tube.... my friends large Trek feels MUCH smaller than another s large F5 (but the seat tube is shorter on the F5).... wouldn't it be better to use the top tube as a size?
    I think they should be toptube sized too. I bought a trek fuel this year and had the opposite problem. I have always rode medium and I had to get a freak'n small because the travel was so tall. You know how hard it is to find a small. I had to get it shipped from the warehouse in Cali.

Religion = Non-thinking
    so it looks like i'm going to take the cdale f7 over the rockhopper for $80 more.

i like the look of it better + it has the disc brakes and a better seat.
    i'm only sad hearing that the RST gila pro shocks on the f7 are worse than the dart 3, is that true?

mtbr member
    Make sure to ask people who have had a chance to ride both for a while..... lots of very strong opinions here and sometimes very little hands on experience

Lets just say for sake of argument that the Dart 3 is a better (my educated guess says so but thats it) you could always pick one up cheap... about the same as disk ready wheels I would think.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    so it looks like i'm going to take the cdale f7 over the rockhopper for $80 more.

i like the look of it better + it has the disc brakes and a better seat.
    i'm only sad hearing that the RST gila pro shocks on the f7 are worse than the dart 3, is that true?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ray lee is right. It is easier to switch out that fork then to upgrade to discs since you also have to buy new wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Rockhopper all the way, i just got one and its awesome. Dont worry about the discs, they really only give you an advantage if your doing downhill or your going to be riding in lots of mud or water. (which we dont have in AZ)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think that starting with the f5 they start using the larger head tube in order to be able to use the headshok or lefty should one want to upgrade. It comes with a dart 3 fork and uses a reducer. This is according to my LBS. I almost bought the f5 but ended up with a Scott Scale instead. I thought it was a nice bike I just got a better deal on the Scale.
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.