1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

cannge one chainring or all?

Is it OK to just change just one chainring, or is it best to do them all at once?
    Is it ok to change the 24T to a 22T? Will that throw anything off?
    are all 4-bolt Shimano's chainrings interchangable? (basically I am asking: If I order a 22T, 4-bolt shimano chainring, can I just install it and go for a ride?)

mtbr member
    a 22 or 24 chainring should fit the same bolt pattern. just replace the ones that are worn out and make sure they are compatible with the drivetrain you are riding- 8, 9, or 10 speed. I find that people tent to wear out the big ring from bashing it on rocks, the middle one from using it most of the time, and the little one because it has so few teeth that they wear out fast.

Trailhead Poseur
    This is a Shimano triple? You should be good with any 64mm BCD small chainring (and 104mm for the middle and large). Changing only one ring is fine, I normally only change the middle chainring because it's the only one on my bike that wears out.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

Picture Unrelated
    How old is the chain? If it's got a lot of miles on it just changing the chainring may cause skipping and chainsuck issues.

As long as you put a ring with the same BCD as the old one on then you should be fine moving up or down a few teeth.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskadude View Post
    are all 4-bolt Shimano's chainrings interchangable? (basically I am asking: If I order a 22T, 4-bolt shimano chainring, can I just install it and go for a ride?)
    No. I know that octolink rings are not interchangeable with ht2 rings. However, a deore ht2 ring is interchangeable with a slx or xt ht2 ring. Same with octolink.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskadude View Post
    Is it OK to just change just one chainring, or is it best to do them all at once?
    Is it ok to change the 24T to a 22T? Will that throw anything off?
    do the most worn out ones, usually my granny stays put forever, middle gets changed, big gets changed

going from 24 to 22 might throw off chain 'too slack/takeup'. be sure that in your lowest cog/lowest chainring the chain doesn't flop loose and derailleur still has some takeup. might need to remove links. [or not, usually you don't ever run small/small]

all shimano 4 bolts compatible ? nope, most are, but 'all shimano' covers a ton of ground. best to just get down there with a tape and measure your exact bolt circles and cross reference compatible parts in the intertubes