1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

CandySL vs Shimano 520

Hey guys got a question.
    I have finally switched to clip pedals after 10 years on platforms. I am currently using CandySL and having a hard time unclipping in emergencies on very technical trails. My question is, a couple of people have told me you can set the Shimano 520 pedals on the loosest setting and be able to rip straight out vs heel out first. Is this true? ANY guidance would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I don't have any knowledge about the topic specifically, but just figured I'd let you know that pedals with clips are actually called clipless. I was just told this recently on the forums so I figured I'd pass the knowledge on, good luck!

powered by peanut butter.
    I've had both CB Candies and Shimano 520s (using these now). Even with the tension set low on the Shimanos, you still need to twist your heel to exit the pedal. I don't think either is easier to clip out of, it's just a matter of getting used to the motion.

My first week w/ clipless pedals, I thought I'd never get used to clipping out when I had to bail on techy sections. Now, I don't even think about it, and only very occasionally do I not clip out in time. Give it time, ride a lot, and it'll become natural.

human dehumidifier
    520s with standard cleats won't normally let you just pull straight up to come out. You need the multi-release cleats to get that feature. Adds about $15 to the cost.
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity - W.B. Yeats

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I started with CB pedals and had the same difficulty. I switched to Shimano with the multi-release cleats and the release tension turned down all the way. This definitely eliminated my difficulties getting out of the pedals when I wanted to, but I also had "inadvertent release" when pulling up over logs and similar things. I ended up going back to the regular cleats and did just fine as long as I kept the release tension on the pedals near the minimum. Overall, I was much happier and more confident with the Shimano pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    These are all excellent replys.
    I sure do appreciate it.
    I have crashed more in 1 week than I have in 2 years.

T.W.O.
    I have both. I like the 520 positive in/out feel. There's a pronounce click unless it get muddy then YOYO(you are on your on) SL has a positive engagement but vague on the exit. SL does have a small platform which is convenience when you have to unclip a bit.

If you have trouble unclipping SL I'd check the cleats if you install the less float on the right shoes, check the manual. Same cleats if install on different side would produce different float. I tried the long float but it's not my cup of tea.

mtbr member
    On your CB pedals, you do have your cleats set to 15 or 20 degrees? If you have it on 20 degrees, putting on 15 degrees will help it release earlier.

Put the cleat with the "dots" on your right shoe for 15 degree release angle, dots on the left shoe is for 20 degrees.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have them set at 15 degree.
    How long did it take you guys to get the hang of unclipping VERY quickly?
    I am beginning to think it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks or I am heel uncoordinated. lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am very interested in possibly getting the Shimanos with multi release cleats if it will stop the crashing.
    But I did just buy the CB's.

mtbr member
    I have been riding for about a month with 520 in the trails. So far I have not fell jut take it easy clip in and out practice practice. some times by accident I kick my heal out when coming to a stop light riding my motorcycle. LOL it just becomes second nature. Keep at it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr28
    I have them set at 15 degree.
    How long did it take you guys to get the hang of unclipping VERY quickly?
    I am beginning to think it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks or I am heel uncoordinated. lol
    I've been riding clip-in style pedals since 1995, so honestly I don't remember. It's second nature. You just got you train your brain to rotate instead of just lift or slide. It won't take long to get used to it.

I think the Shimano pedals on the lightest settings are actually too loose. They come out too easily. So if you go that route be careful. When I did use Shimano pedals, I kept mine on the tightest settings. I switched to CB a couple of years ago because they are lighter and simpler.

I did switch to using flats two years ago for DH/FR and that was a scary learning experience. But now I'm perfectly fine with either type of pedal.

T.W.O.
    If you ride with an experience rider and you look at how hey unclip that's the start only you would want to do it about 20 second earlier. If you wait til the last second then it would be a great, but painful learning experience.

When I started i crashed a few times. I then started to unclip about 20 sec before on both side(just in case) a few rides later I don't think about it any more. There are a few times that I thought I was going to eat it some how I can magically take my foot out. So, keep practicing you get it. Next thing you know you'll be giving advice to another rider converting to clipless.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I appreciate the replies.
    I think if I was learning on a little less technical trails (very rocky and rooty) it would help, and if I had not been on platforms for so long.
    I am going to keep at it and hopefully I will get it soon.