1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Can you put 'thin' tires on a mountain bike?

If its doable, I am considering putting thin tires on my mountain bike for a triathlon with the expectation that it help me out a bit. Would doing this really give me a noticeable benefit?

My current tires are 26 X 1.95. Do you know of any thinner tires that would fit on the same rim?

...a wiggle theres a way
    i assume that your mean SLICKS?

if so you can use a 26x1.5 with a new smaller/thinner tube, be aware though they look a little odd and your braking performance is diminished a little -- also if it was me i would only use the 1.5 on the FRONT tire and use a 1.95 on the back

good luck on the triathalon.

joe

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You CAN, but I wouldn't want to compete with MTB since it's about aerodynamics

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the advice guys!

Do you think it would be at all worth it to pick up a cheap ($300) road bike for when I do these types of events?

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Contriver
    Thanks for the advice guys!

Do you think it would be at all worth it to pick up a cheap ($300) road bike for when I do these types of events?
    It all depends on what you are aafter.

If you don't care about your time in the event and are just racing for fun, then slicks on a mtb are fine. I have done this before in a sprint triathalon and it was no big deal - it was 12 miles. So I got passed by a zillion roadies? It was OK, I was just into it for the fitness.

ON the other hand, if you are really trying to place well and time is critical, then get a road bike. It is nice to have a real road bike as well for training and riding when you cnat get to the mountains anyway.
    Love, Impy

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah man, I'm just in it for fun. I could care less if I win anything or not. The event alone is something to look forward to
    Last edited by Contriver; 10-10-2007 at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    for fun, MTB with slicks should be fine, Schwalbe Stelvios are probably the most racyist tyre that you can fit on MTB wheels as far as I know. How wide is your rim by the way?

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Well, you do have the weight benefit on the downhill bits....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'd put aerobars too

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    They are 24mm wide. What do you guys think of something like this? http://tinyurl.com/35g6xj

Quote Originally Posted by fokket
    for fun, MTB with slicks should be fine, Schwalbe Stelvios are probably the most racyist tyre that you can fit on MTB wheels as far as I know. How wide is your rim by the way?

pedal pusher
    The tires you need: http://www.phattire.com/congranprixs.html

The tubes to go with them: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...TOKEN=93797376

Exactly what I use for the road on my 26" MTB rims. Extremely light and they should last for years.