1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Can you haggle for prices on new bikes?

I'm very close to buying a bike, I've gotten a lot of good input from everyone on here the past few days so thank you all for that.

Since this is my first time buying a new bike over a used, I wanted to know if it was appropriate or not to attempt to "haggle" the price on the bike, especially since its getting close to the launch of many 2012 models in shops around here. Is it similar to buying a car or is that a dick move? Any advice is appreciated on this!

Thanks!

Nickel Havr
    Go for it... What's the worst that can happen? They say no?

I just got a considerable discount on a 2011 Santa Cruz Nickel and I didn't even ask for a discount!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Well, the first thing I'd consider is how well off the shop is. If it seems like they're struggling I'd probably feel bad about talking them down on a sale. If they're busy and doing well I'd definitely try to get them down a bit on the price. If they wont budge on it, see if they can throw some stuff in with the bike like a new helmet, pedals, or some armor.

aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yeah I like the idea of getting some extra stuff thrown in instead of getting a discount in the bike...I could use a new helmet anyways.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Can I haggle? Sort of. If I plan ahead a little, I have fairly decent hookups at the moment, but I don't think they can/will move on the prices they offer me.

Did I haggle before that became the case? Yeah, absolutely. Usually by accident. The only bike I own that I've paid retail for is a '09 cyclocross bike I bought in the Fall of 2008, and that the shop needed to build up for me.

Honestly, I think it would be a little silly not to at least ask with high-end sporting goods. It's not like groceries...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

T.W.O.
    What bike and what price put it up and see what's people been paying, then you have a number in mind.

In whatever case ask the shop first what comes with the bike in terms of service, some shops offer lifetime tune ups, and discount on parts and accessories. Do all of that before talking price.

aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yeah this place offers lifetime service for a small addition fee...about $85. Also, they offer 10% off accessories. The bike I'm looking at is about $680 retail, I was hoping to see if they can waive the lifetime labor fee or something maybe...I'll talk to the guys there.

T.W.O.
    Yeah that should be an easy bargain. What brand/model is this bike?

aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Gary Fisher Marlin...I just wanted to make sure it wasn't like taboo to bargain with them a little before I tried it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just like furniture and bedding, there's usually some haggle room.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yes you can, like said above, the worst that can happen is "no"

banned
    Mar 2011
    I bought my 2006 Response from ***** late 2007....it was a left over floor model(the one everyone sat on)
    Discount was 345 from 445 when new. Already 100 bucks off, but I told her I have only 300 for everything and really like that bike, as I finger polished the dust off the seat as she watched

She asked her supervisor and the spring shipment was coming soon, so he said sure...300 you can have it for that. I then said again that I have 300 for everything lmao... they looked at me funny and I told asked if he could give me some gloves, chain lube and a nifty little seat pack I saw there. He laughed a bit and said he can't really do that, but was willing to give me one of the things listed.... So I got the seat pack and somehow walked out with some finishline wet lube too lol.

So I got a nice Response sport a cool seat pack and chain lube for 300 even.

My advice is to bring cash, act poor(almost cry) and don't ever look content on a price...always look like it's to high a price, put your hands in your pockets and look around and around....until he gives in.

They want to sell bikes and tah hell with it....try all you can to get a better price....they aint cheap!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How much wiggle room you have depends in large part on the store. My closest big LBS does not deal at all... They are selling 2011 bikes for hundreds more than other places nearby. Why? The part of town they are in, people seem to have more money than time, I guess.

They will price match a local place, but unless you bring them that data to verify, the price is fixed. I actually tried to buy TWO $2000+ bikes from them, 2011 models, and they wouldn't budge one dime off MSRP. So I found the bikes elsewhere for a lot less with a few minutes on the phone...

Still, in general you should be able to get 10% off MSRP without too much trouble, but that's based on my recent $2000 bike experience. It may be different at a lower price point where profit margin may be less. It also may vary per manufacturer. And it definitely varies by store.

You often have an easier time paying more for the bike but getting breaks on accessories. You have to do the math if the shop makes that kind of an offer, and see what works for you.

If there is a specific bike you want, start calling stores and asking about prices. Know what frame size you need, know what colors you'll accept. Look up the previous model year and see if it is basically the same bike--you may find a place that has a great price on one when you call to ask about the current model year.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Friend of mine got a 2011 Gary Fisher Marlin for 499 at the Spring Sale in April. Just for reference. Comes with lifetime minor brake and drivetrain adjustments, 2 free tune-ups in the first year.

You should have some wiggle room considering 2012's are coming out.

aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hmm...I just thought of this, my situation may be a bit unique in that the LBS will have to order the bike specifically for me since they don't have it in stock and its closing on the model year -- obviously I should negotiate the price before they order it, but I feel they would be less willing to budge if its not something already on the floor and they have to order/build for me. Regardless, I'll give it a whirl and report back here hopefully later this week. Thanks for all the replies and advice.

mtbr member

Wink

Most bikes are marked up about 100% over cost. Some lower end bikes the markup is less and some higher end bikes the markup is more.

ex: a $500 priced bike is bought for $250 by the dealer.

If you factor in assembly, rent, salary, shipping, sales costs, free tune ups ect. the bike shop isn't really making a huge profit.
    Last edited by LittleBuddy; 08-10-2011 at 03:26 AM.

RideDirt
    Def , offer to pay cash

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBuddy View Post
    Most bikes are marked up about 50% over cost. Some lower end bikes the markup is less and some higher end bikes the markup is more.

ex: a $500 priced bike is bought for $250 by the dealer.

If you factor in assembly, shipping, sales costs, free tune ups ect. the bike shop isn't really making a huge profit.
    Sort of. I think you've got your terms a little mixed up: Mark up is the amount added to the dealer cost, so $250 cost + 50% mark up = $375 retail. The $500/$250 scenario would be 100% mark up. But we typically think in terms of margin, rather than mark up. Margin is the percentage of the retail price left after you subtract the cost, so $375 retail on a $250 cost item is a 33% margin. Which is actually pretty normal for a lower end bike. So, even less profit than you think, after you pay the rent, utilities, insurance, and payroll.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    A few LBS around me were taking quite a bit off 2011's. I got my Yukon FX for $720 ($1000 MSRP). Find bike AND ski shops since they are trying to move the bikes now to make room for snow equipment. I realize the last sentence only applies to us northern folk.

mtbr member
    I even haggle with offerring to pay with cash and not have to deal with sales tax. sometimes it works others it doesnt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Trying to haggle is worth it anywhere but McDonals.