1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    banned
    May 2013

can you get a good mountain bike bike on craigslist?

I have been doing this for about one year now, and when I research how much bikes are for your common trail riding, not too technical, but plenty of occasional rocks, pebbles to deal with,well I want a good full-suspension bike that rides well and has good components. My upper end of comfortable is at $2k, and I am thinking I can get more bike for that on craigslist. Is there a method to getting a craigslist bike and not get ripped off (like a frame hairline frx or something)? thanks!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Don't forget the classifieds on here and Pinkbike.

You can definitely get a good deal on CL. You might ask a local shop and see if they will check a bike over for a small fee (maybe some beer if they do it for free). Just ask the seller to meet you there, and wheel the bike in. If they don't want to, it's a good indicator that it's a bad deal or stolen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    it's possible but it's risky. I work in a bike shop and I have had a few times when a seller and a buyer met at the shop to have the bike inspected before buying it. I have not charged for that service if it only takes a few minutes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anybody, change that to "most", people who have a nice FS bike, know it + the cost they paid for it.
    Craiglist, fine but you have no idea how much they really beat it and components up. If you go craiglist , ask to see receipt, be skeptical, these are tough times.
    I would say, if you find that rare very motivated seller you may find a diamond in ruff.
    I would vote for buying an older bike model (1-3yrs old) new that is on clearance from a major seller. That way it wont be beat up and still has all new components you may want at 20-40% off new cost. Still awesome bike, just not the latest goo goo gah gah item.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I was searching CL about a month ago before I bought a bike. I decided to go new instead for several reasons: free tune-ups from the dealer for a long time, warranty, registration in my name, definitely not beat up, etc. If you're still in the market in a month or two, I imagine many bike shops will have a lot of great deals on FS 26ers to make room for the wave of 650b that is surely coming. Then again, my sister's BF had a $6000 Santa Cruz that he got for $1800 on CL, and to my knowledge, he never had any problems with it. He later sold it on CL for $1800--pretty much just got to ride a sweet bike for at least a year fo free...but he may have just been one of the lucky ones. I'd say CL is a gamble more than anything, you never know why people really want to sell. They could need the money, or they could be evil bastards exemplifying extreme narcissism.

mtbr member
    I've gotten killer deals on a lot of things with CL. Its all about timing. I found a Yakima Double Down hitch rack for $100 because the guy was moving back to Hawaii and the end of a week and needed to get rid of it since he sold the car it was on to a friend. My friend found a 2009 BMC Trailfox for $800. A little scratched up but cleaned and polished, it lookd near new. Recently, I found a 2008 Jamis Dakar XC frame for $70.00 because the guy never got around to building it and he was moving away for work. He also threw in a nice Rock Shox Recon fork with it that just needed some servicing.

But, I think it does depend on the area you're at. If you're in a big city like me (San Francisco) or a place like New York, then you find deals more often.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Test rode several bikes in the shops. Once i knew what i liked and researched parts and over all price points i watched cl like a hawk. Got a great deal and could not be happier. I feel I got lucky tho because ive continued to watch cl for a bike for the lady and have yet to find any thing close to as good but just be persistent and make sure u know what u want

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    All three of mine came off ebay with no surprises. Just bought a used 2012 DB sortie frame and fork combo off ebay for what I think was a good price.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    it's possible but it's risky. I work in a bike shop and I have had a few times when a seller and a buyer met at the shop to have the bike inspected before buying it. I have not charged for that service if it only takes a few minutes.
    Excellent idea.

Otherwise, it could be VERY risky to buy any bike from CL, especially a full suspension bike. A clapped out full susser can need costly repairs, or in many cases, you may not even be able to get the parts needed to repair the bike and you could end up with an expensive oversized paperweight. A shop could also advise you on the fit of the bike, which is also extremely important. A bike that doesn't fit is no bargain at any price.

Also important, is that MANY people either don't know, or straight out lie about the model year of their bike. Funny thing is, that it's NEVER newer than they say it is. It's either the correct year or older :~)

Also, with more expensive bikes, some unscrupulous sellers will strip some of the more valuable parts from a bike and replace them with less valuable parts before selling the bike. BikePedia is a fairly reliable resource to find the year of manufacture, as well as what components the bike came with. Not ALWAYS correct, but most of the time it is.

There are a LOT of overpriced bikes on CL. Might help to have a trusted friend that knows MTB help you.

There are also stolen bikes for sale on CL. If a deal is too good to be true, I would be extra careful. If a seller doesn't really know that much about the bike, and the history of how parts that are not stock ended up on the bike.

The more expensive the bike, the greater incentive for some d-nozzle to rip you off.

One final thing to consider is that used bikes have no manufacturer's warranty as they are not transferable from the original owner, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

All that said, it is possible to get a good deal, but you have to be smart and patient to get what you've paid for and make sure it fits.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I am one of those lucky parties that got a deal. My wife bought my bike for me for father's day. She had the help of a good friend of mine checking it over for her so she didn't end up with a junker, but I got a 2011 Trek Fuel Ex9 for $1200. IF you have someone that knows check the bike over before you buy it, yes, you can get a stellar deal on CL.... as with everything else that you buy on there... buyer beware

mtbr member
    I have bought all of my bikes off of CL, Pinkbike, and Ebay. Always waited for a great deal. Always very stoked. I got my 2007 Mount Vision for $700 with extras. The key is knowing what to look for.

Check out the Noobs guide:
    Noob Guide to Buying a used MTB
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7
    FS: 26" Black Flag Expert Wheelset (new), Reba 29 Fork

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    I actually found my Cannondale F4 on CL for $200... guy was moving out of state the next day and couldn't bring it with him.
    You really need to continuously check for deals and know what you are looking for when you go and see the bike.

banned
    May 2013
    would you consider broadening your CL territory and driving a distance to see a bike?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If I were serious about buying that bike, I would, but not just to be a lookie-loo. Gas isn't cheap, and my time is worth something.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I would do that too, except I would want the person on the other end to send me numerous detailed pics. Pictures of the welds where all the frame tubes come together, pictures of the drive train, overall pics... you kind of get the idea. If you're going to drive 50 miles to go look at a bike, you want to make sure that when you get there, it's what the guy is telling you it is. You don't want to get there, after thinking you're picking up a top notch ride with all top end stuff to have the guy tell you, oh, I though that was an sram, I guess I was wrong. A person who really wants to sell a bike, that knows about bikes will gladly send you pictures of whatever you ask for if you take the time to explain that you live 60 miles away, and want to make sure you're making the drive for a good quality ride. For the guy on the other end, it's a win win, if you have pictures of the whole bike, if you say you're coming to get it, they know that you're coming to actually take the bike with you

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ryantrek View Post
    I would do that too, except I would want the person on the other end to send me numerous detailed pics. Pictures of the welds where all the frame tubes come together, pictures of the drive train, overall pics... you kind of get the idea. If you're going to drive 50 miles to go look at a bike, you want to make sure that when you get there, it's what the guy is telling you it is. You don't want to get there, after thinking you're picking up a top notch ride with all top end stuff to have the guy tell you, oh, I though that was an sram, I guess I was wrong. A person who really wants to sell a bike, that knows about bikes will gladly send you pictures of whatever you ask for if you take the time to explain that you live 60 miles away, and want to make sure you're making the drive for a good quality ride. For the guy on the other end, it's a win win, if you have pictures of the whole bike, if you say you're coming to get it, they know that you're coming to actually take the bike with you

its really supply and demand

either someone wants to really sell it to you
    or you want to really buy it

so i think depending on the area and the price range its gonna be different for alot of folks