1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Can I use a sram xx front derailleur with shimano xt shifter pod and slx M665 cranks?

Hey guys,

My bike frame came with a sram xx front derailleur. I am setting my bike up for 2x10 but using a slx M665 front crank with a bashgaurd. The crank is a 36-22 with outer ring being bashguard. My question is, can I use the sram xx front derailleur with a shimano xt pod and slx crankset?
    Last edited by Hiebs915; 12-18-2012 at 07:49 AM.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Yes. You can even use it with a 3x shifter pod.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Yes. You can even use it with a 3x shifter pod.
    Your sure? I've asked some people before and others have said it doesn't work.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiebs915 View Post
    Your sure? I've asked some people before and others have said it doesn't work.
    Fronts yes. Rears no.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Fronts yes. Rears no.
    Ok. Awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    But will it work with this crank? That is the question...

[Bi_King] Shimano SLX M665 175mm Crankset BG-36-22t with Bottom Bracket(SM-BB70) | eBay

Scroll down a little to see a picture. Its the shimano slx M665 with bashgaurd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yes

banned
    Sep 2012
    Yes. The crankset does not matter.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Yea, and if it's a 3 spd shifter, you can just tighten the high limit screw to only run the 2 rings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Its weird everyone says yes in this thread... When I bought the crankset everyone told me I had to get a 3x shifter..

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah View Post
    Yea, and if it's a 3 spd shifter, you can just tighten the high limit screw to only run the 2 rings.
    Can't the shimano xt shifter pods switch from 2x to 3x?

banned
    Sep 2012
    A 3x shifter will always be a 3x shifter, and the ame goes for the 2x shifter. You can use a 3x shifter on a 2x but not the other way.

-S

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hope you guys are right about using the Shimano SLX M665 crankset with sram xx front derailleur. I just sent back my other 3 speed shimano slx front derailleur.

T.W.O.
    Fronts yes. Rears no.
    Yeah, unless you use, Jtek product. You may be able to do it but not as crisp.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yes, I can switch them from 2x to 3x.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ok guys, I'm trying to getting the shifting all done and things aren't working out.

I'm doing a 2x10 setup with the shimano M665 crankset. The rear derailleur is a shimano xt plus and the front derailleur is a sram xx. It seems I get rubbing on the front unless I'm in the smallets gear up front and largest in the back. I believe the sram xx is a 2x front derailleur, right?

Do I set my shifter pod to 2x or 3x?

I guess I'm pretty lost.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Ok guys, I'm trying to getting the shifting all done and things aren't working out.

I'm doing a 2x10 setup with the shimano M665 crankset. The rear derailleur is a shimano xt plus and the front derailleur is a sram xx. It seems I get rubbing on the front unless I'm in the smallets gear up front and largest in the back. I believe the sram xx is a 2x front derailleur, right?

Do I set my shifter pod to 2x or 3x?

I guess I'm pretty lost.
    Yes, the SRAM XX is a 2-speed front derailleur.

Let me understand your problem first.

1. Can you set it to the small chainring properly?

2. When you select big-rear/small-front, does the chain rub the cage?

--> if it rubs the cage, it should rub on the inside (closer to frame) of the cage. If so, tighten the "L" travel screw on the front derailleur until the rubbing just stops.

3. Set the front to the big chainring - can it reach the big ring?

--> if it cannot reach the big chainring, then there's too much slack in the FD cable. Switch to the small chainring and then loosen the cable clamp, tighten cable, then tighten cable clamp. Try again to shift to big ring....

4. When you select small-rear/big-front, does the chain rub the cage?

--> If the chain rubs the cage, it should rub on the outside plate of the cage. If this is the case, loosen the "H" travel screw until the rubbing stops.
    --> If it rubs on the inside cage of the cage, there's still too much cable slack. You can tighten the cable adjuster on the shifter to take up this slack.

5. When the rear is set to the middle gears (i.e. gear #5) the chain should line up almost straight to the front. Check for this.

Let me know how it goes and we can probably help you more.

-S

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

--> if it rubs the cage, it should rub on the inside (closer to frame) of the cage. If so, tighten the "L" travel screw on the front derailleur until the rubbing just stops.

--> if it cannot reach the big chainring, then there's too much slack in the FD cable. Switch to the small chainring and then loosen the cable clamp, tighten cable, then tighten cable clamp. Try again to shift to big ring....

--> If the chain rubs the cage, it should rub on the outside plate of the cage. If this is the case, loosen the "H" travel screw until the rubbing stops.
    --> If it rubs on the inside cage of the cage, there's still too much cable slack. You can tighten the cable adjuster on the shifter to take up this slack.

5. When the rear is set to the middle gears (i.e. gear #5) the chain should line up almost straight to the front. Check for this.

-S
    I will try all of these things but first, do I set my shifter to 2x or 3x? And, when first aligning the front derailleur do I have it a couple mm above the bashguard or the largest chainring? I think it has to be the largest chainring because if the sram xx front derailleur is a 2x it will only work with two chainrings but I'm not too positive.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I will try all of these things but first, do I set my shifter to 2x or 3x? And, when first aligning the front derailleur do I have it a couple mm above the bashguard or the largest chainring? I think it has to be the largest chainring because if the sram xx front derailleur is a 2x it will only work with two chainrings but I'm not too positive.
    If you can switch it around, set it to 2x - probably better overall. I run my 3x shifter & 3x FD on my 2x10 setup. I got it set up so front shifter "ignores" gear #1 (locked out by tightening the "L" screw, and gears 2-3 select select the smaller and bigger chainrings respectively.

Set it 1-3mm above the top of the biggest chainring.

-S

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If you can switch it around, set it to 2x - probably better overall. I run my 3x shifter & 3x FD on my 2x10 setup. I got it set up so front shifter "ignores" gear #1 (locked out by tightening the "L" screw, and gears 2-3 select select the smaller and bigger chainrings respectively.

-S

So, 1-3mm above the actually chainring, not the bashgaurd?

banned
    Sep 2012

So, 1-3mm above the actually chainring, not the bashgaurd?
    how big is your large chainring?

Try to set it 1-3 mm above the chainring and if it touches the bashguard, you will have to raise it to just clear the bashguard.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Yes, when the chain is in high-rear. The chain is right in the middle of the derailleur cage. What do you mean by "properly"?
    There is not rubbing during this time. The chain is right in the middle of the derailleur cage.

It can reach the big ring but it is a little hesitant.
    Ok, Done. It now catches the big ring quite easily. The chain is about 1mm or less front rubbing the outside of the derailleur at this point. In the big ring the derailleur cage runs into the bashguard too. Right now it is touching it but just barely. What do I do about this?
    Yes, the chain rubs the outside of the derailleur.
    The high travel screw is all the way loosened. The cage cant swing out anymore because its rubbing against the bashguard.

When it is in #5 the chain is almost completely straight.

-S
    I hope things work out with what I got...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    how big is your large chainring?

Try to set it 1-3 mm above the chainring and if it touches the bashguard, you will have to raise it to just clear the bashguard.
    It is a 36 and 22.

I'm going to wait and see what the poster above you says before I readjust everything. I think I've tried to set it just above the bashguard but then when I shift to small-rear and small-front the chain rubs on the bottom of the derailleur cage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You shouldn't be riding your bike in little little or big big much anyways.That called cross chaining it more of a concern with triple. Like others have said the derailleur should be set 2-3 mm above the chain ring.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I hope things work out with what I got...
    Ok... lets do this from scratch. Lets reset everything --

- Disconnect the cable from the front derailleur.

- On your shifter, turn the adjuster all the way in, then back it out 1-1/2 turns.

- Set the shifter to the first gear (click on the release) and pull out the shift cable at the other end.

- Pull the front derailleur out to the big chainring by hand and make sure it clears the top of the chainring by 1-3 mm. If the bashguard is in the way and touches the cage, then adjust the derailleur mounting position up to clear the bash.

Then move on to adjusting the low travel limit.

Step 1.
    The derailleur should spring to the smaller chainring without the cable connected. Make sure you can turn the crank and everything rotates without catching the chain.

Step 2.
    Set the rear derailleur to the biggest gear. In this position, the chain should just clear the inside plate of the FD cage (nearest the frame) if you look directly from the top. The clearance you are looking for is around 0.5mm (tiny clearance).

--> If the chain touches the cage on the inside plate, then it is too close. Loosen the "L" screw on the FD until the chain just stops touching the cage.

--> If the chain has too much clearance from the inside plate, tighten the "L" screw on the FD until the chain just touches the cage, then back the screw up a little so it does not touch it.

Once this is done test through all the rear derailleur gears with the small front chainring.

You then move on to setting the high travel limit:

Step 3.
    Reconnect the front derailleur cable to the derailleur. Make sure you take out all the slack in the cable, and then tighten the cable clamp down.

Step 4. Shift the front derailleur to the big chainring, and the rear to the smallest gear. In this position, the chain should just clear the outer plate of the FD cage when you look down directly from the top.

--> If the front derailleur can't move to the "outside" far enough, loosen the "H" travel screw, and if there is not enough travel, then loosen (counter clockwise) the barrel adjuster on the shifter a little bit.

--> If the chain touches the outside plate of the derailleur cage, loosen the "H" screw some more until it just clears the cage.

--> If there is too much clearance, then tighten the "H" screw until the chain contacts the outer plate, then loosen it a little bit.

The basic setting should be set and after this point all you need to do is tweak the barrel adjuster here on out.

Step 5.
    Set the rear derailleur to gear #5 (the 5th gear from the smallest) and sight down the chainline from the back of the bike. The chain should be relatively straight from the rear to the front chainrings. Repeat this for both chainrings to double check.

Step 6
    Run through all the gears, up and down the range, make sure everything shifts nicely.

Step 7
    Take it for a test ride, adjust the barrel adjuster for small adjustments.

Step 8
    Take a break and have a Kit-Kat.

-S

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast