1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Can i "SECURE" my bike from getting JACKED?

Hi,

I'm a Rookie at all this so I'm wondering is there a way or what's the best thing on the market as far as locking up my bike. preferably something that's reasonably priced if possible. Example: I would like to be able to ride along Venice beach, California that i live very close to and to be able to lock up my bike or even better two bikes at a time "Mine and my chikas" and have lunch at those cafe's. I don't know what's good? What's not? What not to do? and in what way's most bikes get stolen?

Thank you, I appreciate any and all ideas and or suggestions.

KENJI

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well if you want foolproof security, find a pole, get the burliest, longest lock you can afford/find, and loop it through your backwheel, frame, and frontwheel going around the pole.
    Usually, just a simple frame to pole lock will suffice, but these bike thiefs get daring sometimes.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    For the ultimate in security lock up the rear tire through the frame with a u-lock and then use a cable lock to lock the wheels and frame. Always lock it to a permanent structure such as a light pole or bike rack (you get the idea). But one thing to keep in mind though is that if the thief wants the bike enough he'll always find a way to get it.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Get a trunk monkey, easily adaptable to biking.

http://www.trunkmonkeyad.com/4qt.htm

mtbr member
    Don't ride your best bike. And if you do don't lose site of it.

mtbr member
    Take pedals off.
    Lock it with a good U-clock and cable lock.
    Take off all that quick release crap and hard bolt it down.
    Disable breaks.
    Deflate tires.
    Rig your bike to shock whoever touches it.
    Carry two saddles. One you sit on, and one that has pins hidden underneath.

Cheezy Rider
    A pro can easily defeat any lock, and I'd imagine there's plenty of thieves in Venice. get an old beater, or if you have to have something shiny get a cruiser from Walmart, so when it's stolen you're only out a hundred bucks.

I reckon y'all fixin to..
    Hire a sniper to follow you around and watch over it. That should be fairly cheap around your area.
    "Good health is the slowest possible way one can die."

ride the moment
    As others have stated, you can't make it perfect. You can minimize the risk though. In the end the level of security is up to you, but here's some things to think about.

1. How much is the bike worth? If you answered more than $300, then i would suggest you get a beater to ride around town. MTB's are for trails, not bait for thieves.

2. What is the "crime" like in your area. I put "crime in quotes because I live in a very safe area, but its notorious for bike theft. Further considerations along this line include, where you will be able to lock it up (public, visible, bike rack etc.) and how long you need to leave it.

3. Replace all quick releases with bolt-on parts, and always lock it to something permanent.

Where I live I lock my beater up by the frame only (wheels are bolted on) and don't worry about it. Some people use a chain or cable.

These guys make a lock called the New York Fahggetaboudit its pretty burly. All their locks are rated and some have "insurance". I have no experience with their bike replacement guarantee, maybe somebody from a shop will chime in.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    You too. 4 out of 5 crime reports in my area is either stolen bike usualy unlocked or kids bike so questionably locked. or I-pods taken from unlocked car. rarely a window is smashed in teh ipod laptop smash and grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain
    2. What is the "crime" like in your area. I put "crime in quotes because I live in a very safe area, but its notorious for bike theft. Further considerations along this line include, where you will be able to lock it up (public, visible, bike rack etc.) and how long you need to leave it.
    The safest I've found is to weight it down and dump off a bridge into deep water and go after it with scuba gear later but thats hell on the bearings. Especially since you would have salt water.

mtbr member
    There is alot of lock bumping recently and it practically does not matter what lock you use for a bike...jacked!!!! Its kind of scary as such, but I basically do NOT ride my pro bike anywhere that I can not see it and or anywhere that I can not at least view it from a close distance.

I just ride my street brawler instead...

Link to lock bumping..."linky"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Not to take ove rthe thread but what kind of cable/lock is good? i don't live in a high crime area but wouldn't want to leave my bike unlocked even if I am only leaving it unattended for a few minutes.
    There's a track I like to go run at a couple of miles from my house. I'd rather bike to it and lock it up instead of driving (saves on gas).
    2008 Cannondale F4
    Shimano XT brakes, ice tech rotors.

ride the moment
    Thanks for the link Sym2u... I hadn't heard about that one yet.

de8212- I don't have a ton of experience. I bought a kryptonite from the LBS and I don't think its really been tested. For my purposes I just need it to keep someone form walking off with the bike. They make chains, cables, and U-locks. They also have anti-theft coverage on their locks. If you go to the website, they list "security level" and the value of coverage for each lock. You register the lock after you buy it and send in an appraisal sheet for the bike you are going to lock up, and then if its ever stolen you just send in a police report and the broken lock and keys and they send you a check. Lots of paperwork to avoid them getting scammed. I haven't actually dealt with them. There's probably other good locks.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain

de8212- I don't have a ton of...
    Thanks. I'll take a look at kryptonite.

As far as attaching the lock/chain/cable to your bike as you ride, how do most b ikers do that? I would think you would have to wrap it around your seatpost and/or frame and lock it. Wouldn't that scratch wahtever it's wrapped around? Not that a scratch isn't worth it but I have a new bike that I want to try and prevent if possible.
    2008 Cannondale F4
    Shimano XT brakes, ice tech rotors.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    I find it just faster to carry the lock in my pack because if your locking up both wheels and the frame your gonna pretty much have to take the lock off your bike anyways.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    I think alot of those locks are registered and insured against teh lock being cut, broken or in some way damaged in order to get it open...but in terms of bumping (which another chap on here warned me about) the lock itself is in no way damaged and there is no proof that you can offer the the lock was tampered with because there is no visible damage...essentially they are using a special key to bump it open. So far, MOST bike locks can be bumped...and thats the scary part. But its still better to have than not to have and they work as a deterrant to most crims, but not the clued-in sneaky buggers who have more than a few brains cells skulking around their grey matter.

But the Kryptonite are a good brand and work against most normal forms of tampering minus bumping.

Maybe someone should ask them if they are proof against bumping and then see the reaction...?

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I try not to leave it out of sight for very long. And really, how secure is it when its UNlocked and Under you? Tie it up good enough and someone might just waylay you After you unlock it...
    Nothing is unsteal-able....
    CDT