mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Can I remove this?

This is probably a stupid question but I wanted to ask around before I did anything. Can I remove the plastic ring on the back wheel next to the gears? It looks like it may be there to protect the gears but it is always rubbing while I ride and I can't get it to stop. Hopefully my question makes sense I couldn't include a picture because I don't have enough posts. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    yes. assuming that you are talking about the thing that attaches to the wheel (spokes) that sits right next to the biggest cog on the cassette. and also assuming that your hi/lo limits on the rear derailleur are adjusted correctly. it is there to keep the chain from falling off to the inside, but if everything is set up correctly there is absolutely no need for it.

i am confused though, you say it is rubbing. on what? there should be no rubbing if that is installed correctly. it should not move at all. and unless you really really care about weight, and looks, there isn't much reason to take it off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That is what i'm talking about. It rubs against the biggest cog occasionally. It seems to be a little bent and is definitely loose. There does not seem to be any way to tighten it.

Picture Unrelated
    Yeah, you can take it off. Just make sure you check the throw of the shifters once in a while to make sure the chain won't throw into spokes.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i've had the chain fall off to the inside a few times. it's no big deal if it happens, other than putting you off balance for a second. just take it off.

T.W.O.
    Beware once you remove the dork-disc you are no longer a dork, that's a big responsibility. I removed mine but kept the reflectors I use it on my solo ride, it makes me feel so cool

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Beware once you remove the dork-disc you are no longer a dork, that's a big responsibility. I removed mine but kept the reflectors I use it on my solo ride, it makes me feel so cool
    Lol, I guess that's my problem! Can't give up my dork status because then people might start expecting things from me. My bikes are still proudly sporting the dork-discs, unless they fell off and I didn't notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How is it rubbing? It shouldn't be moving relative to the cog. But yeah, take that sucker off.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

EDR
    Few 'actual' mountain bikes have reflectors on the wheels, or on the pedals, or a plastic disc on the cassette. Take it off if it bothers you. It's a fail safe for the chain over shifting and falling into the spokes. The only caveat is that you then need to learn to tune your rear derailleur so over-shifting is not possible.
    Here's some help with that.

Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Rear Derailler Adjustments (derailleur)
    Derailer Adjustment

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Not only adjust it correctly... but keep checking it. I rode my HT for 3 weeks w/o checking the drive train for adjustments/wear and one day the chain popped right off the cassette.

I was spinning and downshifting while going uphill and the chain got sucked in a horrible place where I could not get the wheel off or the chain out. It took breaking the chain on the trail and quick-linking it back together after some serious tugging was done. I was safe in the end and no harm was done as far as I can see... but it was an eye-opener.

You should always stay on top of maintenance... or pay a potentially hefty price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    This is probably a stupid question but I wanted to ask around before I did anything. Can I remove the plastic ring on the back wheel next to the gears? It looks like it may be there to protect the gears but it is always rubbing while I ride and I can't get it to stop. Hopefully my question makes sense I couldn't include a picture because I don't have enough posts. Thanks.
    The correct term for the "thing" is a spoke protector. However, there are other terms, Dork Disc, Dummy Disc, Ding-a-ling Ring, Dope Dish, etc.

It's purpose is to protect the spokes in the event the chain drops off the back of the largest cog on the cassette. It works to a limited extent. You can still damage the spokes badly should the chain drop off the back regardless if the ring is there or not.

The problem with them is just what you are experiencing now. They crack, the mounting tabs break, become warped, etc. And they rattle or rub because of it.

There are two solutions, replace it, or remove it. Most riders remove them. They simply aren't worth the trouble of replacing.

If you do remove it, do as the others have suggested. Learn proper derailleur adjustment and keep tabs on it. The low limit screw is the one that determines how far inboard the rear derailleur can move. That's the one that keeps the chain out of the spokes. To check it simply shift the rear d to the largest cassette cog. Once there press on the lever firmly and watch the rear derailleur. If there is any movement then turn the low limit in (no more that 1/8th turn at a time) until the derailleur doesn't move when the thumb lever is pressed. Simple as that. And always check it before every ride. It only takes a second, but it can save you a world of trouble.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"