1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

can anyone help?? raleigh m80

a friend of mine has one of these and would like as much info as possible.is it worth keeping and maybe upgrading some componts if needed.
    remember wherever you go, there you are !

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I'd first suggest...

a visit to Raleigh's website http://www.raleighusa.com/ that'll give you a pretty good overview of the bikes specs. They have models listed back to 2002, so unless your friends bike is older than that, you should be able to find info on it.

As far as it being worth keeping, sure. If it's in good shape and you don't have to replace all the major components, it's a very reasonable mid-entry level bike. It wouldn't be worth going nuts and uprading to a full on XTR drive train or something like that, but it would be worth replacing what's worn out with an eye toward upgrading a bit. Just keep in mind that the bike sold in the $400 to $700 range originally. If you get to nuts with upgrades you could easily sink more into it than the original cost of the bike.

Replace what's broken, fix what can be fixed, and ride. The M80 has a solid well built frame that will last quite a while. Be smart with upgrades and he'll have a nice bike. It ain't an Orbea or a Felt, but with a little love it can be a solid and durable XC hardtail.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

What year is it?

The Raleigh M80 goes back quite a ways, it was my original bike. I bought one new in 99 and it was well worth the money I got 4 good years riding it.
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

mtbr member
    his bike is around 1999 any info on the components that came with it
    remember wherever you go, there you are !

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    It was/is a decent beginner XC bike. It should have something like a deore rear and other basic components. If it has the original shock it's not worth a crap, I only weigh 150lbs and I bottomed it out all the time. The 3 main most costly thing's that would need upgrades on it would be the shock, wheelset and crankset. I was looking at these upgrades in 2004 and instead just bought a new bike, the Giant XTC2. It really depends how much cash you have to spend and what you want out of the bike.
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2