1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Can a 2013 Giant Reign temporarily be ridden with just 120mm front suspension

I need some advice! I have a GREAT deal on a Giant Reign. I have read it is spec'ed for a 150mm fork. I cannot afford a new fork at the moment but I have a fox with 120mm from a Trek Fuel EX7 lying about.. Could I ride the Reign temporarily with this until I have saved up enough for a new 150mm travel fork? What would be the consequence? Thank you in advance for your advice!

mtbr member

Re: Can a 2013 Giant Reign temporarily be ridden with just 120mm front suspension

You could ride it with a 120 mm fork and it will feel probably a bit nose heavy and the bottom bracket will be lowered than stock. Climbing will be easier, but steep descents will be compromised

If you are riding a lot of xc, it should be fine. I raced xc last season on a 150 mm am bike and would lower the fork to 120-130 mm for climbs and it was fine for the descents on the course.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Dear Ktse, that sounds really encouraging, thanks!

EDR
    Dear Torsten,

Yes, you could ride the Reign at 120mm temporarily. Or permanantly for that matter. You're in no danger of hurting the bike any or breaking anything. Ktse covered the basic issues with running it that low. I.E. front end a bit nose-heavy, maybe a bit twitchy on downhill sections, not very confidence inspiring feeling on the slow technical sections going down that might include rock ledges/steps/drops/rolls etc. But completely doable in the short term.

Sincerely,
    eatdrinkride

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Dear Eatdrinkride, thank you so much! The good news is that I just discovered my suspension is actually 130mm. Last question, if you had to chose between a Reign and Reign X for 80% singletrack quote steep and blue level technical, which one would you take and why?

T.W.O.
    Dear Torsten,

I've ridden my 6" reign with a 5" fork for a few years, at first I added a few spacers to raise the front end but it turned out it was not needed. Sure it felt more XC than AM but not a big deal.

I'd chose the Reign X anyday of the week, twice on Sunday. Extra travel with very little extra weight, it's flatten the technical descend and still pedal about the same as the 6" reign. What's not to like?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Dear Mimi1885, I am picking up my Reign X frame next week, I cannot wait! :-)

EDR

Re: Can a 2013 Giant Reign temporarily be ridden with just 120mm front suspension

If your bike is indeed specd for 130 millimeters of front travel then running it with a 120 millimeter fork will be no problem. Ideally it would be nice to step it up to 140 millimeters as needed, but hardly required. I don't think you'll see any downside to running at 120 its only 10 millimeters difference.

If its really meant to ride at 150 on the front then running it at 120 will be a bit of a compromise that's all .

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Dear Eatridesrink, the bike is spec'ed for 160mm and my fork is 130mm.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Some of the first Reigns in 2005 came with a 130mm fork on them. I had one and it rode fine with the 130mm travel fork. Ideally, I think a 145mm travel fork would be the best all around travel fork for that bike. Personally I didn't love having a 160mm fork on mine and the 150 was pretty good, but I think I would liked to have tried slightly less travel to get the front end down to improve cornering. Great frames and you can beat the stuffing out of them once you replace the upper pivot bearing with bearings from Enduro.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I am not sure but I thought Trek forks were specific to Trek....Something about the specific offset of the G2 Geometry.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by tajar66 View Post
    I am not sure but I thought Trek forks were specific to Trek....Something about the specific offset of the G2 Geometry.
    I think this is a pretty good explanation of how fork offset affects handling. It was posted on another board that I frequent by an MTBR poster that goes by the screen name 'Varaxis'

"Offset, also known as rake, is the distance the wheel's axle is offset from the steering axis (shown as 1). The primary purpose of offset is to alter the "mechanical trail" (the measurement shown as 2). Mechanical trail is the perpendicular distance measuring how far behind the wheel contact point is compared to the steering axis. To understand what offset can do for you, you should understand what mechanical trail does. As a minor side effect, increased offset also increases front center, which increases the wheelbase and increases toe overlap clearance.

If a wheel trails the steering axle, it is pulled by the steering axis and straightens out behind it when you roll forward. This "auto-centering" effect is stronger the longer the mechanical trail is, which makes it easier to go forward in a straight line. With a weaker effect, from a shorter mechanical trail, steering is made lighter, as you do not have to counter (fight) the "auto-centering" effect to steer. To put this in another perspective, the rear wheel on a mtn bike also trails the steering axis, but has perhaps 1000mm of mechanical trail, instead of the ~85mm normally found the front. This makes its auto centering effect exceptionally strong, and is an effect top bike handlers take advantage of when they get sideways, knowing that it will straighten out if they keep the front rolling and the rear wheel on the ground, and is strong enough to pull your legs and hips along if they are sideways with it."

Your bike won't self-destruct from having a G2 fork on it, but you may feel the difference. In some cases, it will be for the better, and vice-versa. The Manitou forks have 48mm offset, which is pretty close to the 51mm offset the G2 forks have, and other brands seem to be getting more and more offset these days.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Dear Jeffj thank you for your feedback, helpful and educational! In the end I decided to buy the Reign X frame and kit it out with a 160mm Rockshox pike as a Christmas gift to myself! :-)