1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Camelbak: Classic 3L or Lobo?

Hello, i've read a lot of reviews for all the camelbak packs, but i actually need one as soon as i can. So, in future, i plan to buy a MULE, but now it would be usless for me since i only ride for max 2hours a day every 2 days near my house because i don't have a lot of time with my new born baby that has 6months. So for now MULE is not for me., BUT i plan to buy it in the future. So actually i use the bottle but it's only 0,5L and it's not aht easy to tilt down to take the bottle while moving really fast.
    So i'd like to buy a small camelbak for short runs and i saw some one their sites. I actually liked LOBO and CLASSIC 3L.

Do you thing it's better to buy CLASSIC 3L or LOBO? There is 20 difference. For short runs i only bring my home keys, walkman and my phone. THat's all.

mtbr member
    Use the Logo every time I ride and have done so for 3 or more years. It's a fine summer (bakpak) carrier however in the winter time I too would like either the mule or even larger.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

'Tis but a scratch
    I am a MULE owner and lover. I guess if you have money to burn buy a LOBO now and then a MULE later. But, you really could just use the MULE and just put less stuff in it. The pack itself is fairly light. I would suggest you should at least add a tube, a pump and some tire levers at minimum to what you pack. I personally have too much crap in my MULE (bet I could drop 2 lbs if I tried). But, I haven't been stranded in the past couple years except for once when the frame cracked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Im waiting for my mule to get delivered to my lbs i cant wait for now im not going on long rides until then

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'd say get the MULE from the start. MSRP is only $15 more than Classic 3L. I always like to be over-prepared. Better to have it and not need it (pump, spare tube, etc), than vice-a-versa. But that's just my $0.02.

Good luck,
    -b

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I use a Camelback Hellion and I can tell you it's one of the best bags I've owned. What makes me say this, is the fact that the bag has insulation covering the hydration system, so my waters temperature remains constant whether it's a hot day or a cold day.

Pity they don't make it any more, but I'd definitely get a bag with insulation.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have a Lobo, and I really like it. It has just enough water for a 2 hour ride on a really hot and humid day. I carry my phone, some band aids and wet wipes, a snack, multi tool and knife, and water of course. It has more room for a pump (special spot for it) and I could fit a tube in there, also. I think you can get a little more stuff in there besides those.

undercover brother
    I'm a Mule user as well and love it. I agree with huffster in that you can just pack less water and gear. I pack mine with anything that I can to prevent being stranded and having to walk. Even on shorter trips it is nice to have to security of the necessary tools (to a limit) to fix typical break downs or flats. It is fairly light for its size, but not after I pack all the sh## that I do. I say go for the Mule and save yourself the extra money that you would spend buying the Lobo or classic.

mtbr member
    I have a mule, but it is an older model from 2002. That is model is the size of the lobo these days and it holds all that I need.

I carry the following.

100oz of water
    spare tube
    Topeak Alien tools
    Mini pliers (thorn removal)
    crankbrothers pump
    spare links for my chain
    one or 2 clif bars depend on ride length
    keys for the car
    cell phone
    small hand towel (wash cloth) for wiping sweat.
    sun glasses for mixed rides (I wear prescription glasses)
    I have also carried a light shell jacket.

Wow this list is takes up more space than the gear... Still this pack works well. I don't need a bigger pack as if I did I would just carry more junk that I don't need.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What do people think about the Osprey Viper 7 and 10 compared to the Camelbak's?