1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: camelbak?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

camelbak?

newbie question?do I put the camelbak liner in the freezer before using it and in between uses to keep cold for water ?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnbike
    newbie question?do I put the camelbak liner in the freezer before using it and in between uses to keep cold for water ?
    I don't think this will help your water being cold, but is more to prevent bacteria from making lots of bacteria babies...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i dont remember reading that in the "desctructions" maybe i didnt get any with mine

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I freeze mine to prevent bacteria...if you want cold water chunk some ice in before the ride. Not part of instructions, something i read about here.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    this works for me
    after every ride, empty the bladder and refill, wash the mouthpiece with good soap, place in refridgerator untill next ride. as long as you dont blow into the mouthpiece, and as long as you dont put anything besides water in the bladder it will stay clean.

I play hard to want
    I don't think a frozen bladder will keep your water cold for very long, but what do I know?

I just top mine off before every ride. Cleaning it is highly overrated
    It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

mtbr member
    Interesting..
    So you guys remove the bladder and hose from the pack, empty any unused water, remove the mouth piece and rinse, reconnect the mouth piece to the hose, and place in the freezer..

Cheers

mtbr member
    i put ice cubes inside if i want cold water for a ride, dont freeze water inside it may burst your hose or something

...and cleaning is overated, I always store mine with water inside so anything that does grow wont be too stuborn to remove when I flush it. I mean your filling it with water that came out of pipes that may be 40 or 50 years old, i dont think your bladder is the weak link

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnbike
    Just another guy who freezes here. I've had mine for a while and only put water in there. Stick cubes prior to your ride for cold water, but do not freeze water inside it. You do not want to compromise the plastic since the freezing expands it a bit. I rinse my bladder inside and out after every ride, empty then put in freezer. No smell, no bacteria, fresh tasting every time.

mtbr member
    Do you guys put the hose and bite piece in the freezer or JUST the bladder? I plan on putting it the freezer empty.

cheers
    Building an Asta right now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panzerknacker
    ...and cleaning is overated,
    Agreed. I've NEVER washed a bladder in about 10 years. Sometimes I get black slime in my hose or valve and then I'll just scrape it out with a pipecleaner or something similar. I've never had a problem because of it.

I don't bother with the freezer trick but I do empty the bladder after every ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Freezer Guy here. I just empty mine, making sure to get all the water out of the hose and toss it in the freezer. If you only use water in it you won't have to ever worry about cleaning it.

mtbr member
    i freeze with water in the bladder (about a 1/4-1/3 full). when i get ready to ride, i fill up with water and now have a giant chunk of ice to keep the water and my back cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrys914
    Interesting..
    So you guys remove the bladder and hose from the pack, empty any unused water, remove the mouth piece and rinse, reconnect the mouth piece to the hose, and place in the freezer..

Cheers
    I squeeze a quarter of a lemon / lime into a fill bladder before I go riding -- fresh taste - and kills the taste of plastic.
    Sometimes I also bring a water bottle to have something for my face.
    ---
    If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever.
    Is that good news?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Another freezer guy here... thanks to this forum!

I usually put in apple juice with lots of water, and after the ride I only clean the bladder and the tube with fresh water, that's it! Goes right into the freezer afterwards. Only problem: My girl is always complaining, cos I got two bladders and they eat up 'valuable' freezer space - meh

mtbr member
    i just keep it in the freezer, not something i read on here, i just figured it would prevent the growth of bacteria. i use gatorade in mine and before a ride i'll pop it out of the freezer, fill it and put it in the fridge until at least 2hrs before the ride, at which point i pop it in the freezer to make it nice and slushy so it will last cold throughout my ride. Not too slushy or else it won't flow well through the tube. I've had it for 3mos and i've never cleaned it nor has there been any lil criutters growing inside it.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GT0neX
    i just keep it in the freezer, not something i read on here, i just figured it would prevent the growth of bacteria. i use gatorade in mine and before a ride i'll pop it out of the freezer, fill it and put it in the fridge until at least 2hrs before the ride, at which point i pop it in the freezer to make it nice and slushy so it will last cold throughout my ride. Not too slushy or else it won't flow well through the tube. I've had it for 3mos and i've never cleaned it nor has there been any lil criutters growing inside it.
    at least none that you can see

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Only use water in mine. When I'm done with a ride or hike, empty the rest of the water and hang up the bladder with a wire hanger I bent it fairly straight to keep the bladder from being all moist and prevent anything from growing.

Also, if I know its going to be hot on the trails, I'll throw in in the freezer for a few hours about 1/5 full, then top it off on my way out. This will keep the rest of the water nice and cool all day.

I've been doing this for a couple of years and have yet to have any problems with bag, bladder, tube or bite valve.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kirrill
    I squeeze a quarter of a lemon / lime into a fill bladder before I go riding -- fresh taste - and kills the taste of plastic.
    Sometimes I also bring a water bottle to have something for my face.
    If I want to neutralize the tast of your water let it soak with a teaspoon or two of baking soda. It may tast a little briny for a fill or two but after that it tastes quite fresh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    at least none that you can see
    a little bacteria is good for the digestive process

actually every now and then i will rinse it out thoroughly w/ just water.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    On a different note, I am looking for a bag, similar in size as a camelbag but without a built in blatter or drinking system (prefer to use bottles). Already checked out REI but their backpacks are way too big. Any ideas where I could find something?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Burrito
    On a different note, I am looking for a bag, similar in size as a camelbag but without a built in blatter or drinking system (prefer to use bottles). Already checked out REI but their backpacks are way too big. Any ideas where I could find something?
    Check out gregory http://gregorypacks.com/
    They have awesome gear. I actually use an old Gregory RPM not a camelback. I think they discontinued that model or at least changed the name. It is great for day hikes. If I don't want the bladder, I have a small insulated pouch in the main compartment.

Also got my internal frame hiking pack from them a while back. I hear their customer service and return/replacement policy is second to none, but I have yet to find a need for them as everything has worked flawlessly.

L.L. bean also has tons of stuff with a great return policy and is usually cheaper than REI.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The only time I've had issues with a bladder was after using something other than straight water. The last few I've had, I never use anything but water and have not had to keep it in the fridge or freezer and have no issues. Every once in a great while, just to be safe, I'll dribble a couple of drops of liquid dish soap in, swish with hot water and rinse thoroughly. No problems whatsoever.

As for keeping water cool, I put about 1/2 to 2/3 full of ice cubes, then top off with water and that will keep water cold on any ride. The insulated tubes are very helpful too.

If I want to drink something other than water while riding, I put it in a water bottle.

mtbr member

H2O only in mine

I have only ever put water in mine...usually bottled water. I keep it full and hanging in the truck on the hanger hook day and night, just in case I get the urge for a spontaneous ride. It's almost always full and always warm, the body adsorbs warm water better than cold. Anyway my two cents.
    Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Fireroads are fun, but Singletrack rules!