Thread: CamelBack

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

CamelBack

I love the storage but I HATE cleaning it after use, it's a pain ....water bottle is so much easier, lol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i never clean mine except for the mouthpiece on occasion. i usually just toss it in the freezer(empty of course) and am done with it till the next ride.

MTB skillz = NADA
    Quote Originally Posted by micro224
    i never clean mine except for the mouthpiece on occasion. i usually just toss it in the freezer(empty of course) and am done with it till the next ride.
    I just rinse my bladder out with clean/hot water, then put some stuff in it to hold the bladder open and expanded and let it air dry.
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by micro224
    +1 That, and I clean it with denture cleaning tablets once a month or so. It's worked great fo me so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MonroeMTB
    +1 That, and I clean it with denture cleaning tablets once a month or so. It's worked great fo me so far.
    i should mention that i do clean it once in a while just not very often maybe 2 times a season,

Enthusiast
    Rarely clean mine. I put only water in. I rinse and refill before each ride. When I've not used the thing for an extended period of time, I'll run some bleach-water through it. Over winter, I let the bag hang dry. Had to cobble up a coat-hanger for that purpose--to hold the bag open.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have been thinking about a camelbak or just going with a backpack and water bottles. Are Camelbaks really worth it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bug08
    I have been thinking about a camelbak or just going with a backpack and water bottles. Are Camelbaks really worth it?
    i would say they are worth it but if you think you will be just as happy with a regular backpack and water bottles then go for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just rinse mine out, swoosh alittle mouthwash in it and hang it up. I've had this thing 8yrs, can't imagine riding any distance without it.

roll hard
    Oct 2009
    i use a sette max flo but yes i just hang it up and put a paper towel in it.take it out after a few and air it out

Using No Way as Way...
    Mar 2010
    i like my pack alot, its not camelbak but serves its purpose. the cleanings not that bad, just rinse after use and hang upside down to dry overnight.

i actually purchased by pack last season at costco, high sierra for $20. and its held up nicely.

on shorter rides, i leave the bladder out and just throw in a partially frozen bottle of water. the most important thing is its always there to hold my misc schtuff, ie. keys, phone, wallet/cards/$$$...

cheers.

mtbr rememberer
    you can get an appropriate sized hyrdapak bladder and swap. they are way easier to maintain.

Thread Killer
    I pour a little baking soda into mine, then some lemon juice...it kinda effervesces and does a good job of cleaning most everything out, and leaves a nice smell afterward. It's a bit of a trick to clean the drinking tube, but it can be done. What I normally wind up doing is pinching the bite-valve and elevating the bladder so the lemon/soda can drip into the straw and mouthpiece.
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

mtbr member
    Never had a problem with my bladders but I got some nasty hard to clean mold in one of my drinking tubes once. I forgot the thing in my Jeep a few days half full of Gatorade O.o

EDR
    6 years now on two Camelbaks. I can count on one hand how many times I've actually cleaned them (with bleach water). Heck, I even leave water in them for a week and still drink it. Being in a sealed environment without access to the outside air, the nasties can't grow (easily).

I usually just dump out the old water (a few days old) and add new. When I get the urge to actually empty it and dry it after a ride I just hang it on my truck's radio antenna for a while. I live in Phoenix so it drys in 5 minutes, lol.

How do I do that?
    It's a PITA but I really don't mind it since I will not ride without a hydration pack.

Once done, I simply empty any left over water, place a Performance Bike air dry expanding thing to allow air to circulate, remove the mouth piece and hang upside down to dry. Like eatdrinkride, I live in Phoenix so it dries very quickly.

If you have money to waste, I've seen this contraption that dries out the bladder by circulating air through it

http://www.zerogoo.com/hydration-bla...-american.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i have never washed my camelpack before. i have used it for thousands and thousands of miles on my dirtbike since 2004. now i use it for my mountain bike. all i have ever done is rinse it out with some hot water before a ride. then fill it up and ride. i aint dead yet, it is time for a new bladder though as my 100oz bladder leaks water down my back, which is a nice feature for keeping my cool, i would rather drink the water though.

local trails rider
    As long as you only put water in the bladder, there's rarely need to really clean it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 530_singletrack
    i have never washed my camelpack before. i have used it for thousands and thousands of miles on my dirtbike since 2004. now i use it for my mountain bike. all i have ever done is rinse it out with some hot water before a ride. then fill it up and ride. i aint dead yet, it is time for a new bladder though as my 100oz bladder leaks water down my back, which is a nice feature for keeping my cool, i would rather drink the water though.
    Same thing but since 2006 dirtbike streetbike hiking snowboarding now mtb. I did use the plastic thing to holed it open for the first few years. Now when i take out of the car or truck i just unscrew the lid and hang it upsidedown in the garage.

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    About once a season I take it out, put bleach in it, swoosh it around, then fill it up with water and let it sit, then I train it through the mouth piece. I then rise it out with water in the same fashion about 5x, I then fill it up half way and add lemon juice and let it sit, it gets rid of the bleach taste.

Members who have read this thread: 0