1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Cage vs Platform pedals for Cross country trails?

Hello, I think most of guys in mountain bike use platform. I am only familiar with cage and clipless pedals but not with platfrom.

I dont do downhill neither free style biking, only offroad routes of 30-50 km.

Now i use some cheap cage pedals, so i wonder if platforms will be a better choice for me in my type of biking.

thanks

mtbr member
    Yes, IMO 100%

Welcome to the site.
    Round and round we go

Cow Clicker
    Meat is correct. Mods, please hurry and close this thread!
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Type clips suck. I prefer clipless for most MTB, but I think everyone can benefit from riding both clipless and platforms and making their own decision.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Umm ok, but op is asking cage vs platform.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    General consensus: cage pedals suck, but decent platform or clipless pedals are OK.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you don't like your cages because you have trouble getting in and out of them or feel trapped in them, but don't really want make the jump to clipless, you could try keeping the cage part but ditching the straps. You keep some of the mechanical advantage, while making them easier to get in and out of. I ran pedals this way for a number of years 'back in the day' before clipless really came on the scene. If going clipless is an option for you though, that would best suit the riding you're doing.

Cow Clicker
    Whoo whoo! Wait, where did the rails go?

mtbr member
    Ok now I'm confused, are we talking about cage pedals or toe clips and straps that some call cages?
    FWIW i'm very glad both of em went the way of the dodo
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just out of curiosity - why the push for closing a thread?
    Can't you just ignore it if you don't like it for whatever reason?
    Kinda odd...specially from someone that just joined days ago. I don't get it...

I could've misunderstood - I guess the OP might not be talking about straps and cages/clips at all.

Cow Clicker
    Slap, you've been here since 2006 and you're asking that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah ... seemed like he had a legit, if kinda basic question. Got answered, so I'm figuring the thread will pretty much die a quiet death pretty quickly on it's own. Why would it need to be locked?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wellgo CNC Platform B143 Flat Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    The stubby pins on these pedals from CRC work for XC not DH with regular trailrunners like those from Asics.
    Your feet won't sweat as much either.
    You don't need the sharp longer pins on some pedals--DH only.
    Watch this video to get the low heels technique you need to use them.
    Straight Lines with Fabien Barel - YouTube
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cage vs Platform pedals for Cross country trails?-wellgo.jpg  

mtbr member
    because many topics on here, it seems to some, have been beaten to death, like 26 vs 29, ht vs fs, clipless vs platform to name a few. There's no one size fits all and it sometimes gets ugly.
    Jeeze, where's the search button police when you need them.
    Last edited by theMeat; 07-07-2013 at 10:16 PM.
    Round and round we go

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Yeah ... seemed like he had a legit, if kinda basic question. Got answered, so I'm figuring the thread will pretty much die a quiet death pretty quickly on it's own. Why would it need to be locked?
    Because it won't die a quick death. Just wait until someone recommends a rigid 29er singlespeed instead of pedals... it's just around the corner.

Summary of the correct answer:

Toe clip pedals are terrible - if they are tight enough to provide any benefit to pedaling then they are dangerously difficult to get out of.

[good] platform pedals are the better choice. Make sure you choose one with replaceable pins for traction.

Clipless pedals are also a better choice than toe clip pedals. We can argue about which one is better all day long but the real answer is that neither one is better, they're both awesome.

Caged Pedals (disambiguation)
    Caged pedals can be a shorthand term for toe clip pedals.
    Caged pedals can refer to a pedal where the spindle and bearing assembly is housed in a body which is surrounded by a metal stamped segment which provides traction see Figure 1.

Name:  Echo_TR_Cage_Pedal-3.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  82.5 KB
    Figure 1: Caged Pedal.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have ridden thousands of miles on all of these pedals and I would go with clipless in your situation 100% if you have a couple hundred to throw down on shoes and peddles. They give the same perks as cages but without the dangers (although I rode with cages for YEARS and loved them). Cages are simply out of date. They did what they need to before clipless came around. Platform are great too for tooling around or gnaring it up off of drops or down hilling but if thats not your cup of tea then don't buy them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    One more thought...watch your shins on those platform peddles. Platform peddles murder shins.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Joneser172 View Post
    I have ridden thousands of miles on all of these pedals and I would go with clipless in your situation 100% if you have a couple hundred to throw down on shoes and peddles. They give the same perks as cages but without the dangers (although I rode with cages for YEARS and loved them). Cages are simply out of date. They did what they need to before clipless came around. Platform are great too for tooling around or gnaring it up off of drops or down hilling but if thats not your cup of tea then don't buy them.
    See what I mean?!?

Can't use "peddle" correctly, has never met OP nor understands what they prefer, clearly hasn't actually given good platforms a try, but has no problem telling someone that the only solution to their issue is one they didn't ask about. Might as well have suggested the caterpillar roll.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Cow Clicker
    Uploaded with Imgupr

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hello i dont want to start a debate dead end thread, i have also read a lot of threads on clipless vs flat and so on.

My question was very spesific. Are flat platform pedals better choice for XC trail biking than cages?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Cage vs Platform pedals for Cross country trails?

I think clipless is closer to caged rider. You learned to exit your cage, you can also unclip.

Also, if you are not riding a single speed rigid 29er, you must be slow

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sorry i think i made a mistake with the meaning of "Cage" i meant the "Bear trap" pedals i thought they where also called cage.

The pedal i have now looks like this
    Cage vs Platform pedals for Cross country trails?-19605-2.jpg

The pedal i need is lke this
    Cage vs Platform pedals for Cross country trails?-44059-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Cage vs Platform pedals for Cross country trails?

Well go mg1 on ebay or other places. Good platform for under $40 shipped.

Some riders prefer lighter cage style pedals for weight reasons, I think it's weight well spent
    Last edited by bob13bob; 07-08-2013 at 12:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakis Vladimirou View Post
    Sorry i think i made a mistake with the meaning of "Cage" i meant the "Bear trap" pedals i thought they where also called cage.

The pedal i have now looks like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19605-2.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	814360

The pedal i need is lke this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44059-3.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	814361
    Ah...much clearer...sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Yes, as stated above, platforms will work better for you than cage pedals, clipless even more so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Because it won't die a quick death. Just wait until someone recommends a rigid 29er singlespeed instead of pedals... it's just around the corner.
    Excellent point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast