1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Cage Length?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Cage Length?

What is the difference between short, medium, and long rear derailleur cages? If I'm looking to upgrade which should I go with?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks

mtbr member
    The shorter you can get away with requires less chain. It will have a bit less chain slack and can reduce chain slap on your chainstays. It may even reduce throwing your chain. Which you can run will depend on how many teeth you will span. I believe the calculation is (Biggest chainring - Smallest chainring) + (Biggest cog - Smallest cog)=? .

Example 3x9 settup with a 44 ring and 22 ring and a 11-34 cassette.

(44-22) + (34-11)= (22) + (23)= 45t

Sram and Shimano have different specs of chain wrap for their derailleurs. You would have to check with them specifically about their limits.

I think general rule of thumb is 1x9= small cage, 2x9= medium, 3x9= long. At least until the new XX1 system is released.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks that makes it a little easier to understand.