1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Cable housings rubbing off paint

Some of my cable housings have worn off the paint on my bike. I have two questions related to this: Is this harmful to the frame? How do I prevent this? Thanks

Full of holes
    Quote Originally Posted by yd35
    Some of my cable housings have worn off the paint on my bike. I have two questions related to this: Is this harmful to the frame? How do I prevent this? Thanks
    1. Not really.
    2. Put clear tape over the rub zones, or change the cable routing so it doesn't touch. Or ignore it.

mtbr member
    It won't really hurt anything, but if you want to prevent it, order some of this:

http://www.go-ride.com/prod_fact.html

It's like a thick clear vinyl that you can cut and stick whereever you want to protect. Like the starshield you can get for cars.

...the wave won't brek
    Mack Tack form the Dollar strore will probaly work too

But most people tend to ignore it.

If your frame is Aluminium then rust is not a concern.

beleave me after you have enough miles on your bike the cable rub will be the leaste of your paint woes.

Take care

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

~I Ride In Circles ~
    I went ghetto fab and did a strip of back electrical tape under my cables... Yeah, it doesn't look very nice but oh well.
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    No, it won't damage your frame unless if it's steel and rusts or something.

mtbr member
    nice, thanks for all the input. i think i'll rock the ghetto style and try wrapping athletic tape around the problematic portion of the housing.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    There is such a thing as transparent vinyl (electrical) tape, as barely seen along the head tube weld in this photo.

speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    As mentioned in Go-ride site, there is a product that is called Clearbra, I have heard of a similiar product that is used on front of cars to prevent rock chips. I think its made by 3M. May be available at auto paint supply stores.