mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Buying w new hardtail MTB. Which of these should I get?

I'm looking to upgrade to disc brakes and a better frame. I've had my current bike for about 5 years (Diamondback outlook) which a friend wants to buy. So to replace it I am looking at a few different models...

1. Specialized Rockhopper disc
    2. Trek 3900 disc or 4300 disc
    3. Gary Fisher Advance disc

Basically bikes around 500-600 that are reliable and good for a beginner. I am not doing anything extreme, I ride for exercise with friends but plan to do light terrain. Option 2 and 3 are in the price I listed and the Specialized is about 150 more. I see different model numbers and configurations on the Rockhopper compared to the others. Is it a better bike or just cost more for brand name? Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

Derek

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Concerning the Specialized, you're looking at the wrong line. The Hardrock Sport Disc (and line) is in your price range.

Also, you can probably get all of these bikes for ~$600 or less at your LBS, although they retail for more:

Sp Hardrock Sport Disc
    Raleigh Talus 8.0
    GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc
    Mongoose Tyax Elite
    Scott Aspect 55
    Felt Q620
    GF Wahoo Disc

Out of these, my choice would be the Felt, the Scott, the Raleigh, the GF, or the Trek.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ok I see the Hardrock sport now, thanks for pointing that out. When I searched the site originally, I didn't see that line.

White Knuckle Rider
    I just got a 2010 GF Wahoo Disc for $582 out the door (tax and all) and I love it. The brakes (that I didn;t think I needed) are awesome.

On the other hand I went back and forth on the 09 Marlin w/o Disc brakes for the same price... I finally decided on the 2010 Wahoo... the flat back looks SO sick

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    For that amount of money I would look at bikesdirect.com I bought a 29er from them and for the price local stores couldn't come close.
    For example...
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...700HT_2010.htm

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The Wahoo is also a consideration, it does look clean. I'm leaning towards Trek or GF based on all around feature and looks. You got a good deal on it. I'm heading to my LBS's Saturday to look around.

White Knuckle Rider
    I went to a differnt LBS and rode a Giant Yukon. It was about the same price, but the Wahoo just felt better to me. I'm not even sure why. The Giant was a nice bike too though. My girlfriend got the Giant.

The seat is pain though... rode a couple miles on the day I got it and felt like somebody hit me in the a$$ with a sledgehammer. I have to get some padded shorts... and maybe a thudbuster if the shorts don;t help. I'm a big guy though... 6'1 245.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Crump, have you made any upgrades to it? I'm thinking the seat will be same day for me. Do you like the pedals, grips, etc.?

White Knuckle Rider
    One thing I liked about the GF over the Giant was the pedals. The pedals are metal and have some bite, but are a little small. The Giant had plastic pedals that I didn't like. Everything on mine is stock. I've only had it since Saturday. I am taking it out for some actual trail riding this weekend.

The grips seems fine to me, but I don't know why they made the ends white... the part that hits the ground when you lay the bike down. Seems silly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Sweet, you made the thread before i did. Good info on these forums. Can't wait to go bike browsing on Saturday. I was leaning towards the GF. We'll see how they feel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    After browsing a few shops, I've learned some things and now have a different set of mtbs to choose from. If anyone could offer some more insight, outxider and I would be grateful.

Raleigh Talus 8.0
    Trek 4300 disc
    Cannondale F7

From what I can tell, I can't go wrong with any of them which is why I need advice from forum members. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The fork on the Talus is much better than the forks on the 4300 Disc and the F7.

Have you gotten a chance to ride them? Which one fits best?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Going to ride them today. From what I've seen the parts on the Raleigh are overall better than the other 2. The guy I talked to about the Raleigh said they offer a better group of parts at a better price than brands like Specialized or Trek. I thought he was just being a salesman. Is there any credibility to his statement?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yes. The entire bike specs-wise is a model line ahead of anything you'll get from Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, etc. Felt bikes are also a very good value from what I've seen (i.e. the Q620).

If you like the Talus 8.0, consider buying a 2009 Mojave 8.0. Same bike, but it's last year's model, so you can get it (i.e. from REI) marked down hundreds of dollars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just bought my Trek 3900 disc last friday. Ive only rode it once, but love it so far. In all my research of it, the only shortfall is the low end disc breaks. Im too green to notice if they are that bad or not. Im just going to ride them till they bust, then upgrade. I managed to talk the LBS down to $459 for her too. $507 out the door, imho, thats more bike for your money than most others, craigslist, or BD.com. And i looked at all those options.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    tsmosher,

I was just in the middle of thanking you for recommending the Talus in an earlier post. I did look at all the bikes you recommended. Once I got to a shop who carried the Talus and had it in stock, I already had a feeling that was the one. I am going to ride it today which I don't think makes much of a difference to me because I am a noob and it's a huge upgrade from my current mtb.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Cool. Let me know how it goes! I'm getting my first mountain bike today (bought off eBay). I can't wait! (Scott Aspect 45)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    double

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine3982
    I just bought my Trek 3900 disc last friday. Ive only rode it once, but love it so far. In all my research of it, the only shortfall is the low end disc breaks. Im too green to notice if they are that bad or not. Im just going to ride them till they bust, then upgrade. I managed to talk the LBS down to $459 for her too. $507 out the door, imho, thats more bike for your money than most others, craigslist, or BD.com. And i looked at all those options.

Name brand bikes are nowhere close to BD.com bikes in terms of component value/$ .

The Talus is again hands down better than your Trek in pretty much every respect. I hope you have a good time with your bike, but please don't go about with the impression that you got the best possible deal for your $ . Satisfactory yes, but best.. not by a long shot .

[This coming from someone who was considering the mojave 8.0 for $425 from my LBS and ended up with a Cliff 4700 from BD]

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    Name brand bikes are nowhere close to BD.com bikes in terms of component value/$ .

The Talus is again hands down better than your Trek in pretty much every respect. I hope you have a good time with your bike, but please don't go about with the impression that you got the best possible deal for your $ . Satisfactory yes, but best.. not by a long shot .

[This coming from someone who was considering the mojave 8.0 for $425 from my LBS and ended up with a Cliff 4700 from BD]
    The Talus may be "better" than my bike, but its not even in the same pricepoint, so your point is moot. And i will go about with the attitude that i got the best deal for my money, because i know that i did. You go along and have fun riding whatever you ride, cuz i know i will be enjoying mine. You sound like a pompus @$$ by the way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine3982
    The Talus may be "better" than my bike, but its not even in the same pricepoint, so your point is moot. And i will go about with the attitude that i got the best deal for my money, because i know that i did. You go along and have fun riding whatever you ride, cuz i know i will be enjoying mine. You sound like a pompus @$$ by the way.
    The Talus 4.0 or 5.0 are priced the same and have better components.

And at BD.com, you can get a number of better equipped bikes for the same price. It's just a fact due to their lower overhead from operating via an Internet storefront.

The Trek 3900 Disc is a great bike, but I believe that the above is his point.

And, yes, he did come off as a bit of a pompous a.s.s.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Was not my intention to sound pompous there
    Sorry about that. All I wanted to say was that there are better bikes for the money than the Trek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    Was not my intention to sound pompous there
    Sorry about that. All I wanted to say was that there are better bikes for the money than the Trek.
    I would agree, but it's more about the rider than the bike. And at the lower end of BD offerings, the differences in components just aren't that great. Dart1 vs. Dart2, Tektro Aquila vs. Tektro IO, Alivio vs. Deore, etc. That being said, when you get up into the $800 and over mark, BD just kills the competition. At $2k, the suspension, brake and drive train components are often worth the cost of the entire bike.

To the OP: Ride what you like, and ride it until the bike is limiting your performance not the other way around. At that point, look for an upgraded ride around the $1,000 mark. The differences is components and weight is pretty big, and well worth the price IMHO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So my friend bought his bike today. Trek 4300 disc. I am waiting for a coworker to buy my old bike before I buy the new one. The anticipation is killing me. Hopefully Saturday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So wait. Which one are you getting?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm going with the Raleigh Talus 8.0.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Did you get your Scott? How is it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Sweet! What about the Mojave 8.0?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I considered it but I only found it at REI and it's $20 less than the Talus. So I prefer to get it from my LBS and I like the black/gold combo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hm. If it's only $20, good point. Go with the Talus!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm a beginner, but I can't say enough good things about my GF Wahoo Disc. I am extremely happy with it and I got a great deal last fall by buying last years model.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Force,

I am still considering that model. The shop that my friend bought his Trek from offers lifetime tuneups on all their bikes. So it's still stuck in my head. Going to my LBS tomorrow to see about pricing for the Raleigh and what guarantees they offer. Lifetime tuneups are hard to pass up. Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What is the difference between the Trek 3700 and the one you pointed out> Not to hijack this thread, but I am so afraid of buying my Trek 3700 and then regret that i did not pay 150 more for something else, I love the way it feels and rides, but I am a newbie at all of this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I picked up the Trek 4300 disc. The front suspension on the 4 series has a lockout option, disc brakes, better components, and double wall rims are to name a few. I'm glad i went with the Trek, its more bike for me until my skills improve. So far, taking it for a spin around the block, the bike feels solid and great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    From my understanding I wouldnt really need disc brakes now... but better components...hmmm....

Basically I am getting the Trek 3700 at my local shop for 329, how much did the Trek 4300 set you back?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Trek 4300 disc at my LBS is 579 + tax. There is the 4300 without disc option as well if disc brakes isn't a concern.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was told I only need it if I was in a rainy situation constantly. Said that disc brakes would be good for that, but also said that if you dont know about the wheel being "true" something like that then best to go with the other brakes, cause using disc brakes wont show it.

Guys at this shop were helpful, I felt pretty uneducated walking in there, being new to this, but I consider myself a smart guy, lol... Just trying to understand this newly founded sport sort to say. lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Me and Raiderz28 felt just like you. We just wrapped up snowboarding for the winter and needed a fun active summer time activity, what do you know, mountain biking. It's true, we learned quite a bit of knowledge from our LBS in the last week or so. After riding the 4300 today, disc brakes gives great modulation similar to that of a car. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase and even with the 3 series, you will be quite satisfied and once your skills improve, you can move up the bracket to bigger and badder bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks I feel more confident now about buying this bike. I have a issue with getting the best of best... but I always started of with a low end product before I ever got a high end product. Same with bikes. Just such a price range 300 - 10,000 dollars.. Thats a big price gap, lol... Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just ordered Talus 8.0, picking it up tomorrow. I found a sale at LBS for $549. $603 out the door, had to pull the trigger on that one.

ranger, what outxider and I have learned is go to as many LBS's as you can and ask questions, those guys love to talk and sell. You will get loads of info so you can do your own research and find the right bike for you. Also ask them about their assembly procedures and after sale guarantees for tune-ups etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    This morning was the first ride and I am in love. Everything felt really good, went for another ride tonight too. I highly recommend the Talus 8.0 or 5.0.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ha. I just saw your question. Yeah, I got the Scott, and I finally got a chance to put it together Friday. Only to find out... that they didn't send the pedals. As a matter of principle, I didn't go buy pedals for it, though I was tempted. I'm going to wait for them to send the ones that should have come with it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger19d
    What is the difference between the Trek 3700 and the one you pointed out> Not to hijack this thread, but I am so afraid of buying my Trek 3700 and then regret that i did not pay 150 more for something else, I love the way it feels and rides, but I am a newbie at all of this.
    Get whatever bike feels the best for YOU. Its not that much more, 150 dollars extra is roughlky what you would spend eating out in a month going off the 5 dollars a day rule.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderZ28
    This morning was the first ride and I am in love. Everything felt really good, went for another ride tonight too. I highly recommend the Talus 8.0 or 5.0.
    Ok I kind of need some help I had recently purchased a Trek 820 and my drunk roommate took the bike out to ride it IN THE RAIN and all the grease has messed up the wheels and it broke my heart ...he's promised to reimburse me for the bike though. However I went to my local LBS to get it tuned and cleaned and the salesman said nothing was wrong with the bike and its absolutely fine, but I'm having my doubts coz the bike was left in the rain for more than 5 hours. I was wondering if they will exchange a bike that is less than 3 weeks old?I'm kind of shy to ask them if they will exchange it for fear of some fiery words or long faces, I know I'm gonna do it either way, but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with that sort of thing?

I saw the Talus 8.0 and its components and even the color scheme and it really got my eyes popping and I plan to exchange my 820 ($360) and the reimbursed money to buy the Talus 8.0. Should I just stick with my damaged 820 ?...I'm a college student with very little money , but that bike looks so damn good. One week into owning the bike Raider, how's it holding up?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    SCdriver,

The talus is awesome. I've ridden about 6 times, mostly local streets but went offroad a little yesterday, everything felt solid. The shifting is smooth and the brakes stop so hard I can skid. Great bike for the money.

Spending a few hundred more on a bike is up to you bro. If it's a struggle financially, you could always make it a goal to get a nice bike after your graduate. It also depends on what types of
    Biking activities you plan to do now. My goal was to buy a bike I could hit the trails with until I develop some biking skills and then upgrade in a few years.

mtbr member
    Sounds good, keep us posted on how the bike feels after you nail some trails. I don't do serious mountain biking, just simple trails. Then again where I live we don't have as good trails to my knowledge. I'm having my finals atm, so I'll wait another week or two before I decide on anything. Although I'm heavily leaning on buying the Talus. Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Rain won't ruin your bike, man. Not at all.

It might be worth a shot to try and exchange the bike if you feel you're getting an upgrade.

You say "light trails." Rooty? Rocky? Does your current ride feel good?

Don't have buyers remorse, man. It'll kill ya. Ride to your level, get really good, and then buy something else, if you feel the need to.

Remember, it's rarely the gear and always the rider. You can throw any "pro" rider on your rig and he or she will thrash it better than you can. The more you ride, the more you'll see what YOU feel may be an upgrade. The good thing about that is, you can swap over your upgraded parts to any new bike you buy... Complete or buck naked.

At your current level of riding, as long as it feels good to you, it's the right bike for you.

mtbr member
    Dude rain will not hurt your bike If it would we would not be able to ride in it at all. The LBS said nothing was wrong with it ! that's a good sign to trust them. Seriously if there was anything wrong with it they would tried to sell you on fixing it not tell you nothing was wrong
    1.. 2.. 3... 4...........FIFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Well near my campus theres only one trail that I know of. When I said simple trails I meant barely any ups n downs, no chances for some air, its a simple off road rocky path with some tarmac here and there. The bike feels awesome, considering my "first" bike was a "next" walmart bike, the Trek 820 felt like a dream. So in reality I really have little to no experience in mountain bikes. I did have the chance to ride the Hardrock and the only con that I have with the 820 is that the frame is a little heavy in comparison with the Hardrock. However, the Talus got sold out when I innocently inquired on the phone yesterday. They only have Trek, Specialized and Giant brands now and I got when I heard that lol. Oh well, I'll most probably stick with my 820 for now.

Although the only reason I want to exchange the bike is because it was barely 3 weeks old and the handlebars have deep scratches and the paint work is scraped a little. I know I'm nitpicking here and its not really visible unless you really look into it, but then again I'm the kind of guy who maintains and takes care of his things. Yea I know I sound like a whiny *****, but then again what both of you said really made me see the other side as well...thanks for the input guys I appreciate it . What do you ride Selfest, Hellrazor?

mtbr member
    Never mind I checked your profiles, silly me.

mtbr member
    Well actually I'm not riding the kona anymore. I bought a 08 Elite Stumpjumper. I hadn't checked my profile in a while need to update it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buying w new hardtail MTB. Which of these should I get?-trail.jpg  

1.. 2.. 3... 4...........FIFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I bought the 4300Disc in march, infact two of them, one for myself the other for my wife. I have about 200KM on mine and so far I am very satisfied. The only complaint is the seat, for me it is uncomfortable. Generally my riding is commuting 50/50 on trails / roads about 6-7 KM (one way) to work . And some single track on the weekends with wife and kids/ friends, nothing technical,......... but give me a few months. I got into mountain biking to keep my baseline fitness up during the summer for winter sports; Hockey and alpine skiing, and for more family time. keeps me off the golf course with my "fat friends".

From what I have read and talked with others you can't go wrong with Trek, especially if you buy it at a bike shop that supports the products.

Blueliner

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Pictures?? Show it off, man!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    Damn that stumpy is a sweet ride I feel like such a beggar now :P. Blueliner my riding is similar to yours but more like 70/30 commuting and yea post some pictures.

Fisher Fanattic
    Mar 2010
    Once you pick a price range, all the bikes are virtually the same. Some like the Gary Fisher have a different geometry that is not for all folks. The componets are all compareable, and the bike will handle what you throw at it.

If something brakes, then join the rest of us who are addicted to upgrades.

That being said, I am a Gary Fisher owner who loves the geometry of his bikes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid
    Pictures?? Show it off, man!!!
    If you were asking me...here it is at work, the other one is at home in the garage.

Blueliner
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buying w new hardtail MTB. Which of these should I get?-picture-320.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm buying 3 bikes 2 are for my daughter and wife. I'm try to decide for myself between a Raleigh Talus 29 Elite for $1200, Raleigh Talus 29 Comp for $700, Raleigh Talus 5.0 for $450. All 2012 models. Wondering which is the best buy for the money? I mostly ride gravel and some trail riding, but want to do more trail riding. Just wondering if I just go ahead and get the Elite.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well this will be my first time giving advise but I think I know what to say. You need to try these bikes and decide on a price range your comparing a 26er to 29ers and a $450 bike to a $1200 bike almost 3 times as much. Compare the 29ers to the 26" ones and see what you like. Can you afford the Elite without growing broke? If so than great but compare it to other >$1000 - <$1500 bikes.

From what I heard the Elite is a good choice over the Comp just for the Fox front fork. For the cheaper bikes $450 for the 5.0 is a good price but you should be able to find the 2011 8.0 for $550 if you wanted to go that route my LBS and Erik's bike shop both had them in stock for $550.

Members who have read this thread: 0