1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    I Have No Friends2Ride w/

Bonking ... not feelin' well Buying The Right Size Stem...

hello, I need some help in getting a new Stem, The current stem I have feels long(about 4 inch), I want something shorter and same rise angle...

so far I have my heart on Syncros AM Stem, it seems shorter judging from the picture...

one of the size listed on the site is " 1-1/8", 60mm, for 31.8mm, I don't know whats the 60mm is for..
    http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...t=46&brand=381

Can someone help me w/ this..? I see some w/ 70mm, 80mm, 100mm

which one is the right size for my bike..
    http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=f7rj7.png
    Last edited by LOVELESS; 09-14-2008 at 03:31 PM.
    My Bike

2009 Cannondale F7 Disc - Don't Know Y I Bought This Bike. N(-_-Y-_-)b

I Truly Apologize For Any Grammar Errors

pedal pusher
    Measure your stem from the CENTER of the handle bar clamp to the CENTER of the steerer tube clamp, and that will tell you how many millimeters it is.

FYI: pretty much all bike measurements are taken from the center of one thing to the center of another.

No matter which stem you get, though, make sure it has a 31.8mm bar clamp, but it seems you already figured that part out.

I Have No Friends2Ride w/
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    Measure your stem from the CENTER of the handle bar clamp to the CENTER of the steerer tube clamp, and that will tell you how many millimeters it is.

FYI: pretty much all bike measurements are taken from the center of one thing to the center of another.

No matter which stem you get, though, make sure it has a 31.8mm bar clamp, but it seems you already figured that part out.
    oh.. I see, the 60mm, 70mm,& 100mm is for the length(how far apart handlebar will be from your head tube) correct..?

so If I want my handlebar to be closest to my head tube(but also rised) I buy the 60mm right?
    My Bike

2009 Cannondale F7 Disc - Don't Know Y I Bought This Bike. N(-_-Y-_-)b

I Truly Apologize For Any Grammar Errors

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVELESS
    oh.. I see, the 60mm, 70mm,& 100mm is for the length(how far apart handlebar will be from your head tube) correct..?

so If I want my handlebar to be closest to my head tube(but also rised) I buy the 60mm right?
    Correct, the 60, 70... 150 is the length. 1 1/8 is the tube diameter. 31.8 is the handlebar diameter.

Don't forget to include the angle in determining fit. If you get one with the same angle but shorter, it will drop the handlebar height some. The angle will determine how much it drops.