mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Buying the Right Shoe.

I've looked at all my local bike shops and talked to a couple riders i know,and they all told me the same thing. "buy a shoe you can walk in, b/c as a beginner you will need to." so with this in mind i checked out a couple pairs of shoes, here they are---

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=9309&eid=4927

http://www.rei.com/product/765129

any input or suggestions would be great.

thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Now that I've been getting back into riding again, I went with a 5.10 Freerider. It's not a hiking type dirt shoe but I'm not planing on walking on the trail, that's what the bike is for. So comfort and fit were more what I was after. I like them a lot better than my old hikers. They're almost as comfortable as my work day Echos. If you can do without the aggressive tread (ask yourself if you really need that, you might or you might not) these are great. If all you're doing is walking up the climbs that you're not in shape for, I'd question whether you need all the tread but you'll know that better than anyone else.

They have the added benefit of being perfectly comfortable to walk around in with the GF or family when you don't want to or can't pack in normal shoes.

And when I say these are comfortable, last week I road from my house out to a local bike shop at the end of a riverbed trail in them. The round trip all that day was 65 miles (about 40 of which was bike trail so it wasn't hard, just kind of long for someone only a few weeks into riding again. We road out there, had lunch, did some meandering around the shops, road a few other riders bikes at the deli and then road home. I was in the shoes for about 12 hours total. No problem at all, other than my butt and quads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I find the velcro straps are very good for balancing the feel of each shoe. If you ride with shoes having different lace-up tensions, if only slightly different, it feels noticeable and then uncomfortable ... the velcro straps over laces allow you to be precise with how the shoes feel. Particularly when walking on those not flexible soles.

With dual purpose shoes the more affordable shoes can be somewhat heavy ... compared to what you normally wear for walking. If you can afford to buy a light weigh pair of shoes, I think that the extra bucks are well spent.

The Shimano shoes that I have are too heavy and although they are designed as dual purpose shoes and are good for walking in short bursts only, I certainly don't hike in them one step further than necessary. They have great grip on the steepest of slopes and are very well made ... but the walking action in them is unnatural. If I know there is a hike coming, my trainers are put in my back pack.

Cheers.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 03-20-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0