1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Buying a new Hardtail !! advice??

Hey all, ive been really looking to get another mtn bike with a decent entry front suspension. My old 90's Schwinn High Plains is great, but id enjoy a better fork on the trails lol.
    Anyways i was at Academy and came across the Columbia Ravenwood bike and for the money it seemed great!!
    -RockShox Dart2 front fork
    -Shimano TX-30 derailleur
    -Shimano "rapid fire" type shifters (i can't recall the model type)
    -6061 Aluminum frame
    -Kenda tires too (i think)
    It was usually $199 but now is on sale for $169.
    Now i know, i know.... stay away from dept store buys. Yes almost a given rule lol. As i understand the Columbia lines are made by Iron Horse and are a bit of lower end than other IHs. But the components on the bike, while no where near top notch, seem to be descent for the price. The Rockshox Dart2 alone on eBay are close to $100 shipped !! (even the Specialized Hardrock doesn't have Rockshox unless you buy the Hardrock Comp.)

Anyways, i can't find much at all online about the bike. And was wondering what anyone else thinks of it? A good buy for the price and components? Im really excited but i don't want to jump into the buy. Thanks.
    Last edited by drunkpuppy; 06-15-2008 at 03:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    That does sound like a pretty good price for what you get...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kramnnim
    That does sound like a pretty good price for what you get...

I agree,it does sound like a pretty good deal and it certainly sounds like it's at least a step or two up from a dept. store bike.

Suffers From Binge Biking
    Well if that's your price range, I'd say go for it. Frankly I'm surprised to see any kind of RockShox at that price, and the frame should be good, since 6061 is used on some $1000 bikes. Just don't be shocked if you have to replace a component it a couple months. Oh and are you sure the name was Columbia Ravenwood? I did a google search and the only results were for coats
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    lol i did the same search and could not find the bike anywhere online... only "parkas" haha. I ran into the bike in an out-of-town Academy store while visiting my cousin. When i told him to go back and get the bike name for me that was the name he gave me (over the phone); of course he could be completely and utterly wrong lol (but it IS Columbia).
    But the bike isn't listed on the Academy website or the Columbia website. I figured that it could be a store-specific type of build (like the Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 was made for ***** Sporting Goods). But even if it is, those parts with those components seem to be a deal.

mtbr member
    Many of the bikes I have seen at
    Dick's, and other sporting good stores I also have a hard time finding any information on the internet as well.