mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Buying my first MTB. Help needed

Hello All, a friend convinced me to go on a beginner single track trail recently and I fell in love with it. I was able to rent a trek bike and I really like how it performed.

Now I want to buy my own MTB and have received many suggestions from friends and different reputable dealers, but many of the suggestions are saying opposing things.

I know I want a trek bike. I used a trek 3500 disc as my rental and loved how it performed, however, I was told its a mens bike. I was told the Skye S is the women's comparable model.

Any suggestions?

I am 5'8" and 125lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    What are you looking to spend?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can ride whatever fits. Your actual inseam also affects fit. Some adjustment is available from different length stems, handlebars and seat setback and placement. Ride all the men's models for the broadest selection. A good fork helps for bumpy trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I just went through a new bike purchase with my wife who is 5'6". She rode a ton of bikes including women's specific models from Trek, Specialized, and Giant/Liv. In the end she wound up with a men's small from Specialized. She just felt like it fit her the best. Try as many bikes in your price range as you can and let the bike pick you. Don't worry if it's a "men's" or "women's" model.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If the men's model felt right to you that's all that matters. For a woman who is as tall as you are (which means your reach is likely longer than most women's) it isn't necessary to go with a frame made for women (or marketed to them, depending on who you ask...). If you fell in love with the sport on this bike that's probably a good indication.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There are a ton of bikes.. The trek you rode is an entry level bike and I'm positive that other brands in that price range will feel good, if not better. Broaden your horizons a bit there are a ton of bikes out there.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yep! I know how you feel. I've "kinda" narrowed it down to a stumpjumper fsr, a heckler, or a gt elite...and most likely a 650b wheel...going to rent/demo a couple more before I buy. good luck!