1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Buying MTB (Mongoose Tyax Expert / Centurion Backfire 200?)

Howdy,

I'm looking at getting a MTB, though I haven't ridden a bike without a motor in over a decade! I'm gonna spurt some text at you guys and ask you kindly for some feedback, I hope that's okay!

I do not currently plan to do riding on anything better than loose gravel or dirt tracks. To this end, I received some advice to look at components to help judge the quality of the frame, as they're unlikely to put cheap stuff on a good bike. I guess this is what started me hunting for something a bit better.

Mongoose Tyax Expert - Mongoose | Tyax Expert
    It's currently my first pick. I can get for just under USD$600:

My main reasons for looking at this over the other bike is each component seems to be that little bit better, though I'd still like some more opinion on Sram x5 vs Alivio.

"Promax Hydraulic Discs" sounds a bit vague; are they a decent brand? Does anyone know the specific brake variant on this bike? I'm assuming Promax make more than one hydro disc brake set..

As for the bike brand itself, I've not seen people rave much about Mongoose MTBs - I was originally optioning Trek, then Giant and finally GT and Kona. I just remember Mongoose being the BMX brand when I was growing up.
    -

Centurion Backfire 200 - Backfire 200 - MTB Hardtails - CENTURION Bikes
    Before looking hard at the Mongoose, I was pretty interested in this, which is on sale now for ~USD$510.

I'm pretty happy to see hydraulic brakes and better derailleurs; other bikes in the price bracket have acera, altus or tourney, from which I understand are not as good. The Aussie version has Alivios on front and rear.

Being heavy built and over 6', I'm a little concerned about the single walled wheels as opposed to the Mongoose's double, and the huge USD$275 discount makes me wonder about the reputation of the brand itself - mostly because I hadn't heard of them until I found one in some classifieds.
    -

I won't say it's 'a lot of money', but it is a decent investment that I don't want going to waste, obviously, and that's why I'm here. I guess with my picks, I'm just looking for a confirmation that I'm on the right track, or perhaps some other suggestions? *shrug*

I appreciate you guys takin' the time to read over my wall o' text.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Tyax, is my vote.