1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Buying an individual sprocket for a crank?

I am new to tinkering with bikes this heavily.

I got a bush beater pretty much given too me by a friend. I live on a tight budget so I am always looking for free or next to free toys. I rode the bike for awhile until the bottom bracket gave out. When going to replace it I noticed that somebody had stripped the threads out trying to remove the crank arm with the sprockets. My crank got trashed during the removal process. My friend told me I could have the one he had on his beater bike. I went to take it off and it is missing the smallest sprocket! He said he had it at one point but I can't find it anywhere!

Anyways my question is: can I get replacement sprocket for this crank? I haven't called anywhere around here yet because the mark-up instore is crazy. I like to go to online stores for better deals.

Might be a simple question but that is why I posted it here!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Depends on what the brand model of crank is, but generally yes unless the rings are riveted on rather than bolted (some very low end cranks). You need to know the Bolt Circle diameter (BCD - which is the spacing between the fixing bolts) most likely 4 bolt 64mm. You can get some deals at the moment from the online stores - note shimano rings tend to be pretty pricy in my experience - after market rings may be cheaper - just make sure it matches the BCD and number of bolts

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What cranks are they? I think I've got a used ring I might could send you if it would fit.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Answering SimpleJon's questions will really help us narrow down the right one for you.

Cheap ones are only about $10, if it's the popular 22 teeth 4 bolt kind. Ask your friend if he has extra chain ring bolts. Otherwise, you'll have to buy a set of those to mount it.

And when you search for them online, you'll find them labeled under "chainrings".

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ah chainrings.

It's a Shimano Deore LX 4 bolt 64mm spacing. The outer ring is a 42T the middle ring is a 36T the inner ring is missing and I don't know if it would be 26 or 22. No bolts either!

banned
    Sep 2012
    Dont worry about it... just run it as a 2x9 (or 2x10) since it's all the rage. LOL.

Actually, the inner ring is your preference and is usually dependent on your cassette. If the big sprocket on the cassette is 32, then a go lower (22-24)... if it's a 34 (or 36), then go a little higher on the granny (24-26). Factor in your personal preference. I prefer a slightly larger granny gear...but that's just me....and eventually I went 2x10 (42-28).

Typically with a front 42T big chainring, the granny will be 24 or 26... with a 44T big ring, the granny is usually 22

-S

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You should check the threads for the chain ring bolts ,just to make sure they are not stripped.

mtbr member
    Cambria Bike has rings on sale right now in the blowout deal section.