mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Buying first bike in over 20 years need some assistance please...

Hey all first time poster and looking to buy a new bike in the next week or so. I need a bike that I'll be using to commute to work (about 3-4 km's) on paved roads, but would also like to be able to do some off-road trail riding with it. My budget will be about $800-$1000 and have been looking at Giant/Norco/Kona. I will also have to buy offline as I have no selection locally.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and have a great night

mtbr member
    Look at cannondale bad boy !

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
    Look at cannondale bad boy !
    Was actually the first bike I considered but no dealers remotely close to me. What I have it narrowed down to is the following 3 Hybrid's, and 2 off-roaders...

Norco XFR 2

Giant Talon 27.5 1
    Giant Talon 27.5 2
    Giant Roam 0
    Trek 8.5 DS (prolly my last choice as it's further shipping)

mtbr member
    By "offline" i assume you mean ONline. Do you live so far from civilixation that there are no bike shops nearby, or just none that you like?

Buying a bike online means assembling it yourself, which is harder than most people think to do it RIGHT.

For a commute that short, any bicycle that fits you will suffice. Focus on the recreational opportunities instead. Where, approximately, do you live? What kind of trails exist where you live?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Haha yes I did mean online but meant select something and get from a neighboring town (150-300km's away). I have one local shop that only sells Norco and the selection is lousy. They have one bike in my size, and nothing beyond a hybrid for me to try out.

mtbr member
    any bike shop can order a bike in the correct size for you. did you ask them about that? they are not limited to what they have in stock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Have you looked at Airborne? The Seeker seems like a great value at under $1000.

Airborne Bicycles . Seeker

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

Bad Boy FTW...

Test-ride the Bad Boy, even if you have to get a ride few hours away, to do so. It's the ultimate commuter/path bike, in my honest opinion. It's fast, fairly light(mine is crazy-light), and armed with Cyclocross tires, can tackle gravel and packed dirt. The murdered-out black paint is understated, but way cool. People still compliment my 19-pound, 2001 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra all the time. Thieves drool all over my ride....to the point I have to employ 3 U-locks, just to keep it mine:

"The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    any bike shop can order a bike in the correct size for you. did you ask them about that? they are not limited to what they have in stock.
    Of course I know that but my only lbs is a sports store that only sells Norco, and selling bikes is near the bottom of the shops priorities. When I inquired with the owner (I know personally) about a bike he was trying to get me to buy the "Indie" that I'm really not interested in. Other then that they had one bike that was big enough for me (5'11") and it was also the most aggressive a Norco XFR 3.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Have you looked at Airborne? The Seeker seems like a great value at under $1000.

Airborne Bicycles . Seeker
    Sorry I'm only going with bikes that I can buy within a reasonable distance, but thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Test-ride the Bad Boy, even if you have to get a ride few hours away, to do so. It's the ultimate commuter/path bike, in my honest opinion. It's fast, fairly light(mine is crazy-light), and armed with Cyclocross tires, can tackle gravel and packed dirt. The murdered-out black paint is understated, but way cool. People still compliment my 19-pound, 2001 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra all the time. Thieves drool all over my ride....to the point I have to employ 3 U-locks, just to keep it mine:

I was really considering the Bad Boy 4 at the start of this (mainly because of the blacked out look), but unfortunately the closest dealer is an 8hr drive away. As I've gotten further into this I've also wanted something a little more aggressive, which is why I'm really considering the blacked out Giant Talon 27.5 1.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Do you have any Jamis dealers near you? The steel-framed coda series are great commuter bikes which would happily tackle some dirt path riding, esp. with cyclocross tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    No I don't unfortunately I'm pretty far north in Canada...closest possible would probably be Vancouver, but that's a 20hr drive. Pretty much only brands within say 3hrs of me are Norco, Giant, and Kona.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Get the Giant Talon 29. Changing to 700c slicks for commuter duty is easy, and they roll very quick.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Get the Giant Talon 29. Changing to 700c slicks for commuter duty is easy, and they roll very quick.
    That is another nice bike like the Bad Boy but it is not listed as available in Canada, only on the US site. That being said I would rather something with a more aggressive stance. The majority of off-roading being done will be on non prepped trails, and in mud. For a lighter end bike I am still considering the Roam 0, or the Norco XFR 2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buying first bike in over 20 years need some assistance please...-talon-27-5-1-black.jpg  

Buying first bike in over 20 years need some assistance please...-talon-27-5-2-black-blue.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Braidster View Post
    Wow - you totally threw a curveball there. The Stance is obviously completely different from the other bikes. Anyway, if you have a short commute, it would be fine - and it gives you more versatility so you can really hit the trails too. I just bought one for my wife..it's a great bike for the money. If your budget has definitely increased, check out the Kona Taro..an excellent hardtail at a good price. Guess you have to figure out exactly what kind of riding you might wanna get into..

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Just did a 11 miles ride on a friends borrow GT Karakoram 4.0 that I borrowed (that is too big mind you...an XL frame). Up a mountain that the road was about a 50-70% incline and pretty bouldery (so I walked most), but rode down. For my first ride in 20yrs on an uncomfortable bike i'm pretty proud of myself. Not bad for an old man lol...I'm hooked Buying first bike in over 20 years need some assistance please...-img_5219.jpgBuying first bike in over 20 years need some assistance please...-img_5232.jpgBuying first bike in over 20 years need some assistance please...-img_5225.jpgBuying first bike in over 20 years need some assistance please...-img_5222.jpg