1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

buying bikes online

So, I wanna try to get a good Santa Cruz Heckler or Superlight for $1300 or under ($1400 if need be) but my dad is saying under $1300, and these bike retail for a lot of money. I'm thinking about looking at places like pinkbike.com and ebay, but I don't know if buying bikes online is a good idea, and I will have a hard time convincing my dad too. Any advice/ ideas on this and has anyone out there done this?

mtbr member
    I think your main concern is how the bike fits (assuming the seller is being forthcoming about the bikes condition, but I would think you'd be ok on ebay). I wouldn't buy anything that you haven't sat on. It would be worth your time to go to a Santa Cruz dealer and see what the different sizes feel like for the model your looking at.
    Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, when attached to the skull with common wood screws, can a make a child look like a deer.

swoosh!
    Mar 2006
    I recommend that you walk into a few local bike shops and try to get it for $1300 w/ tax w/ "shipping".

Most decent bike shops can give you the same deal as the internet on bikes.
    Crawling uphill is a skill!

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by alex923
    So, I wanna try to get a good Santa Cruz Heckler or Superlight for $1300 or under ($1400 if need be) but my dad is saying under $1300, and these bike retail for a lot of money. I'm thinking about looking at places like pinkbike.com and ebay, but I don't know if buying bikes online is a good idea, and I will have a hard time convincing my dad too. Any advice/ ideas on this and has anyone out there done this?
    Santa Cruz offers some 'complete bike' kits that is a complete bike for a good budget

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    are you looking for new or used?
    I bought 2 bikes off the mtbr classifieds, both slightly used (under 10miles) got real good deals over $1000 off
    I had the sellers bring them to their local shop, then I talked with the shop to verify the condition. if its good you can have the shop box it and send it to you cod ups. costs around $75 . get a certified bank check, that way if you open the box and its not as advertised you can stop payment.
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...query=category