1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Buying a bike for my 15 year old son have 3 options help?

I was planning on getting a bike from Decathlon a 8.0 Rockrider 8.0 Mountain Bike, Orange/Black B'TWIN - All Bikes Cycling - On sale..., however there are a good few used ex rental bikes i have seen locally any suggestion if better to go with the new or the rental?

The ones i have seen are:

Scott aspect 650 2013 model 280
    Scott Aspect 30 2012 model 380
    Saracen Zen 1 2011/2012 400

Also for reference he will be planning a few good run on this from the point of off road as there are a few tracks round by us.

Bike specs

Saracen Zen 1 2011/2012 model size 21" = Saracen Zen 1 2011/2012 model size 21" | eBay

Scott aspect 650 2013 Scott aspect 650 2013 model ,sizes med and large | eBay

Scott Aspect 30 Scott Aspect 30 sizes med + large 2012 model | eBay
    Last edited by timboellis; 11-06-2013 at 07:55 AM.

mtbr member
    If it is at all possible have him test ride each one and see which one he likes best or fits him better.
    I bought my wife a bike knowing it was the right size for her, and she never rode it. I finally asked her why she never rides her bike, and she said it was very uncomfortable and she did not like it. I took her and the bike to the LBS to get fit properly and she still was not happy. Then just before we left she took a much cheaper bike for a test ride and loved it. So I buaght her that bike, and now she rides all the time.
    Good luck
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jearl View Post
    If it is at all possible have him test ride each one and see which one he likes best or fits him better.
    I bought my wife a bike knowing it was the right size for her, and she never rode it. I finally asked her why she never rides her bike, and she said it was very uncomfortable and she did not like it. I took her and the bike to the LBS to get fit properly and she still was not happy. Then just before we left she took a much cheaper bike for a test ride and loved it. So I buaght her that bike, and now she rides all the time.
    Good luck
    Great advise but long long way to go, however just seen an offer Boardman this up to much info here Halfords | Boardman Mountain Bike Comp 2012/2013 - Large 19"

I can get it for 400

My little friends
    Just a thought; your son is probably not done growing, so a bike that is slightly larger than he needs might be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Assuming you can get the size that works or a size larger, I vote the Scott aspec 650. It's cheaper, but will still give a good ride, has nice introductory components and has a hydraulic fork with rebound. The Saracen Zen would be my next choice. Better components and a much better fork. Still not an air-fork, but a good fork.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Just say "no" to department store bikes. Also, you or your son will be able to get a lot more money back out of a Scott or Saracen if he needs to move up a size in a couple years.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Take the appropriate measurements and shop around. If he borderlines between sizes then go with the larger one and be prepared to do some fine tuning so he can grow with it.