1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Buying bike for girlfriend. Which one?

My lbs has a 2012 trek skye sl d that they will sell for $689 or the 2014 trek Cali 29er for the same price. Which bike do you guys think she should get? They seem to be very similar.

mtbr member
    I would take her to your LBS and let her test ride both bikes if possible and let her chose.
    I bought my wife a bike that I thaught was great for her and she hated it, never rode it.
    I finally took her into my LBS and she rode a few bikes, picked the one she liked the most and now she rides all the time.
    Good luck.
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    if sticking to lbs, go with what fits better for her. especially if you don't know how to adjust fit for her.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Agree with all the above. I bought my wife an all-mountain bike that was too heavy and cumbersome. A few nasty crashes later, dust collector in the garage. XC style set-up was better for her.

Hi There!
    If the bike shop you're going to is even halfway decent, they will strongly advise you not to buy a bike for your girlfriend without her seeing it/testing it. If the shop you went to didn't tell you that...maybe try another shop.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Agree with everyone here. Let her figure out which bike she likes to ride, 'cause she'll ride more if she likes her bike and she'll ride less if she doesn't. And lets face it, some bikes just feel better than others when you test ride.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    They actually don't have either of the bikes at the store. But my gf did come with me and test rode 2 of the cheaper treks to find which size she liked best. Today she told me to order her the 2012 skye sl disc. My lbs said they will have it tomo and will be ready to be picked up Thursday. I'm sure she will love it considering she's been riding a real shitty bike when riding with me. Thanks everyone