1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

buying advice please

hello all-

Just wanted to ask for a bit of advice. I want, in the next few weeks, to buy a bike for general use on some dirt/mountain trails behind my home in Los Angeles. I've been riding these trails for a few years now with an old mongoose that I purchased about 8-9 years ago. A gift from my parents gives me about a $1000-1200 and I wanted to upgrade to something better.

So first, where do I start learning the basics? By basic I mean questions like what is better, hardtail or full-suspension? And with full suspension what is the difference between XC, freeride, downhill, and all mountain?

And second, are their particular recommendations that any of you have in terms of bikes in this price range that I should be looking at?

Thank you in advance for your help.

ride hard take risks
    1) HT or FS? HT in general is great for fire roads, smooth trails. FS is good for agressive trails rough terain.
    XC also known as cross country, narroow it down trail riding.
    FR freeride hucking 10-45+ foot drops or gaps, big jumps.
    DH downhill the name should explain it all, chair lift up bomb down.
    AM all mountain combination XC,DH,FR but nat to the extream level agressive trail riding.

2) Price range, skys the limmit?? Depends on how you plan on riding what bike to get.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks dogonfr.

I guess that a XC or all mountain full suspension would be most appropriate. I'm in my late 20's, about 5'11"/165lbs, and ride fairly aggressively (but don't really do any jumping or racing downhill).

I want a bike that will be sturdy enough to last me 5-6 years with minimal maintenance. Again my price range is approximately $1000-$1200.

Any suggestions on particular models would be appreciated.

ride hard take risks
    You have a lot of good choioces. Start with Ibex excelent bike awsome components, is a net company so the price is sweet.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-EXP-Details.html

Jamis Dakar XLT http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/06_xlt1.html

If weight is no mater Versus Blitz '05
    http://www.adrenalinebikes.com/store...ES%20on%20SALE

Both of these companys Ibex & Jamis offer excelent components for the price.