1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Buyers Remorse.....

I have been reading threads on MTBR for quite some time now and I have finally gone out and purchased my first mountain bike. I went with the Trek X-cal 8 which is do in tomorrow, however I really wanted an Airborne Goblin. Due to the fact that Airborne is out of stock (until august) in the size I need, my impulsive tendencies set in and lead me to the X-cal 8. Now I haven't received my bike but I'm looking for a little reassurance that the bike I settled for isn't all that bad.

-Will

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Only you can answer the question "Will I be Happy". You could be getting the best bike in the world, but if your heart is set on another one it won't matter. Sorry for your conundrum.

I think you said everything anybody needs to know in the description YOU used, "Settled".
    HBSURFDAD
    2014 Stumpjumper FSR 29er evo. XXL.

mtbr member
    Did you already pay for the Trek? Can you just not buy it if not? Are you willing to wait for the Airborne? It is a nicer setup but at least with the Trek you get dealer support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've put a deposit down on the bike. It should be in tomorrow or Wednesday. I feel like I'd be missing out on a lot of the riding season if I waited for the Airborne, but as many have said its much better spec'd. Im torn becasue I want to ride but at the same time I feel like I'm settling. I think my LBS has a policy where you can return the bike within a week which will give me a chance to get some time in the saddle. My hope is that I fall in love with it and never second guess it again, but my fear is that I wont and I will be missing half the riding season waiting for the bike I want...

mtbr member
    There is nothing wrong with the Trek X Caliber 8. A very nice bike. Unfortunately though, for around $200 more, you would of been getting much more bike with the Goblin. The Airborne is equipped with a Rock Reba fork, which is a few steps up from the XC32. That alone makes up for the price difference. Another difference is the tapered head tube that you'd get with the Goblin. Although many would argue in the difference it makes in terms of feel (some say its makes the front feel stiffer and more solid), its also much easier to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I appreciate the help and was wondering what you guys thought about trying out the 20" frame. Also I thought about asking Airborne if I could try out the 20" frame and see if I liked it and if I determined it wasn't the right fit if they would allow me to send back the bike and wait for the 18" to restock. Let me know if you have any better ideas.

-Will

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Looks like you got two choices and you are the only one that can take care of that part: be patient and wait on the Goblin or start riding now and go ahead and buy the Trek. Did you test ride the Trek before they ordered one for you? If not you should at least be able to test ride it for a while before you are obligated to purchase it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The X-Cal has better geo and may also be lighter. The old Goblin with the dual air Reba was a good bike. The new Reba with solo air and a mediocre damper is not on the same level. Elixir brakes on the Goblin are a swapout.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The best weekends in the riding season are worth something too.

Save your second guessing for November.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Do you think the X-cal will have a decent resale value at the end of the season? If thats the case I would probably go ahead with the trek as I got a pretty good price on it. Also if I really like mountain biking knowing myself Id probably be upgrading anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    If you have a set of wheels to get you through till August you could always cancel the Trek and wait for the bike you want. If you don't have anything to ride until then, well I'm not sure what to do.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Nope. The minute you walk out of the store, your bike's value drops to about 60% of MSRP. It continues to fall with every scratch and every model year.

The same would be true of an Airborne.

But you can buy/sell, wait, and overanalyze your way out of an entire riding season. My impulse-bought Hardrock was, objectively, kind of a crappy bike. But it got me back into MTB after a long break. I certainly don't regret that!

Since getting a steady job (long commute and waaay too much time to spend on forums when it's not my turn to drive included) I've been learning to overworry some of this stuff less. The riding weekends you have are valuable. Your free time is valuable. It's one thing to want to get it right, whatever that means, but the gear is in service to riding; sounds like you'd actually be losing some riding in service to gear. Try not to get crazy about upgrading for the same reason - it can be both expensive and a distraction.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    The best weekends in the riding season are worth something too.

Save your second guessing for November.
    Agree, I wouldn't miss this riding season just to wait for a bike.

mtbr member
    You can always upgrade the Trek as you go...yeah, you might be starting a little ahead of the game with the Goblin but upgrading can be part of the fun too. I really wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Get the Trek, ride it for a week and reevaluate. Of if you have an REI near by, get a bike from there, ride it until the Goblin is available and take the REI bike back. You have a year to return it. Keep in mind...buying the Goblin, you could very well get it and hate it. Buying bikes without riding them can be a crap shoot.
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If you want to ride this season, go with the Trek. You can always sell it next spring and upgrade to the Goblin. Sure, you'll lose a lot on the Trek when it comes to resale but you'd get some riding done before winter.

I basically did the same thing last summer with first buying a Giant Talon 29er only to sell it this summer and going with a Salsa El Mariachi.

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with that Trek, ride it into the ground and don't look back. After a few seasons you'll have a better idea of what kind of ride you really want anyway.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Nothing wrong with that Trek, ride it into the ground and don't look back. After a few seasons you'll have a better idea of what kind of ride you really want anyway.
    In this case, I would tend to agree with this. Your first bike is rarely going to be 'The Bike' you love for the long haul. It is the bike that gets you out there and riding, and gets you experience that will steer you to the right bike down the road.

Riding a bike for a bike for a week, and then returning it leaves the bike shop with a used bike to try to sell. And buying a bike from REI with the intention of returning it months later when the bike you order from someone else is in stock again is also poor form.

As long as the Trek isn't too odd of a size or model, the shop should be able to sell it if you don't take delivery and choose to wait for the Goblin. If you take the Trek, I would advise you to keep it, ride the crap out of it, and mostly just fix what breaks while saving for 'The Bike' you will purchase down the road in a year or two.

If you buy the Trek with the idea of upgrading it (namely the fork), keep in mind that the fork on the Trek features a G2 steerer (w/51mm offset), and that will be slightly different from non-G2 forks. If you put a non-G2 fork on the X-Cal, it won't spontaneously combust, but it will handle a little 'slower' in the corners. G2 forks are not plentiful in the aftermarket or even in the used market, BUT they can be had.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Riding a bike for a bike for a week, and then returning it leaves the bike shop with a used bike to try to sell. And buying a bike from REI with the intention of returning it months later when the bike you order from someone else is in stock again is also poor form.
    But it's the stores' polices so they know what they are in for by instituting and upholding them. If they didn't want the hassle/loss of selling used bikes, they wouldn't allow people to buy them and return them within the given amount of time.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    But it's the stores' polices so they know what they are in for by instituting and upholding them. If they didn't want the hassle/loss of selling used bikes, they wouldn't allow people to buy them and return them within the given amount of time.
    They have that policy because they are a conscientious retailer that cares for their customers that have true issues with purchases. Taking advantage of that, while well within the parameters of their return policy, is still a dick move.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Costco used to do the same (as REI) pretty much across the board until they finally changed it due to the abuse. If a LBS does pretty good volume, it may not hurt them that badly, but it does bear a cost that has to be reconciled somewhere. A smaller bike shop that doesn't do that much volume gets hurt more. Buying a new bike, knowing you're going to return it when a bike you've ordered (from someone else) comes in a month or two down the road, is likely not what these return policies were intended to cover when they were instituted.

I'm pretty sure they don't "want" the hassle of selling a "used" bike that was returned for the reason we are discussing here, but they do accept it as a cost of doing business. However, I don't believe that just because you can do it, doesn't mean that you should. If you choose to do it, the business will have to make up the loss at a cost to their other customers. If everyone chooses to do it like that, the store will either have to close it's doors or eventually change the policy. The store is gambling that not everyone will choose to knowingly abuse the return policy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    All the responses I have gotten have been great and I really appreciate the advice you've all given me. Now just to clarify I would never buy a but with the intention of returning it the only reason I stated the policy is because I was not able to ride it prior to ordering it. Also as if it wasn't enough that I was torn between two bikes I have now come across a Santa Cruz tallboy LTC for 800 pretty locally. This is why I was hoping I could have walked in the dealer and rode my new bike out. Thanks again to everyone who is helping me out.

mtbr member
    I'm a new rider too who is already looking to get a different bike since the one I picked up last year (my first bike) isn't the best option. Try and think of it like this - you're not locked in to one bike forever. Get the Trek, ride like mad, and start considering what your next ride will be. Maybe you'll love the Trek and won't want a different bike down the road.

OR - I'm sure you can still get out of the bike you ordered. Most places will order you a bike, and if you find that you don't like it, won't hold you to buying it. I'd be honest with them and ask.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by roadtripping47 View Post
    All the responses I have gotten have been great and I really appreciate the advice you've all given me. Now just to clarify I would never buy a but with the intention of returning it the only reason I stated the policy is because I was not able to ride it prior to ordering it. Also as if it wasn't enough that I was torn between two bikes I have now come across a Santa Cruz tallboy LTC for 800 pretty locally. This is why I was hoping I could have walked in the dealer and rode my new bike out. Thanks again to everyone who is helping me out.
    The Tallboy LTc is an excellent bike, but the frame alone retails for $2,400. Great deal if it fits and (dare I say it) IF it's not stolen. It is certainly worth more than that for a used LTc frame alone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    The Tallboy LTc is an excellent bike, but the frame alone retails for $2,400. Great deal if it fits and (dare I say it) IF it's not stolen. It is certainly worth more than that for a used LTc frame alone.
    This is exactly what I thought which is why it caught my eye. I looked in the NY forum on here but I didnt see anything that said stolen. Ive also asked this guy a lot of questions and he claims its been looked over by a local shop so Ive asked for the name in hopes I can call and confirm everything he says. The guy claims his son is 5'6 and was riding a Large frame. Not sure if the kid didn't know what he was doing but who am I to judge because I really don't know either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Well, I just got an email from Airborne notifying me they found 3 bikes in the size I need buried in their warehouse. So needless to say I'm now a proud owner of a Airborne Goblin. Thanks for everyone's advice I really appreciate the help and look forward to doing some serious riding. I will post the pictures of the bikes when it arrives and I'm sure I will have more questions in the future. Thanks for the support.

-Will

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast