1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Buy or Wait

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Buy or Wait

I decided that I want a Trek DS 8.6 and told my LBS to order me one. Do you think I should hold out for the 2014 model or just stay with my current plan. Any idea what upgrades if any will be improved on the next year model, other than color changes? Your input would be appreciated. Thanks.

My little friends
    An easy question....Do you want to ride NOW, or next year?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What kind of terrain do you intend to ride. This bike is very limited in its use for any offroad trails with bumps. Mtb tires won't fit on the rear because of the kickstand brace placement. Ride a Trek X-Cal and Scott Scale 960 as an alternative. An Airborne Seeker is a value choice.

mtbr member
    Seconds to what EAB said, now or next year? You can always play the "do I wait" game but then why, next year is always next year. Gotta jump sometime!
    The Hardcase tires came on my Trek Transport and honestly, they are the hardest stiffest most uncomfortable riding tire I have ever ridden on(and the aluminum bike frame doesn't help!) They reminded me of my son's solid rubber trike tires...yeah, they are literally that hard!
    They got changed out pretty quickly on mine(to Schwalbe Fat Franks).
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Like already said, if you want to do any form of mountain biking, check out the X-Caliber.
    The DS bikes aren't made for actual mountain biking. I say get the 2013. There's also a chance that next year the prices may go up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thank you for the replies. I donít plan on doing hard core mountain biking. The salesmen said that I could put larger tires on the rim and it has the clearence for them. I really want a nice bike that I can ride with my son. We ride on asphalt and crushed gravel with some smooth dirt. He is only 7 right now. I'll look at the other bike suggestions. I definitely want to ride this year, so I take it that the 2014 order process would be a long one. A 2013 it is for sure.

mtbr member
    Have you looked into cyclocross?

mtbr member
    Its hard to determine what a company will add to a bike in a newer model. Most 2014s usually are available around September to November, so I don't think you'd have to wait until "next year", but around that time is when the 2013s will go on sale, so waiting for that might not be a bad idea. They usually knock off a few hundred off the retail price.