1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Buy new used Reign 0 or new lower spec 27.5 All Mountain machine?

I'm in the market for my first full suspension bike, and most of the guys I started to ride with have All Mountain bikes, so that's what I'm shopping for. I ran across a hardly used 2013 Reign 0 for $3000, and I'm kinda gravitated towards it because of the Maestro suspension and how it climbs well. I'm not the fittest and I have little experience in mtb so I thought the Maestro's attributes(from what i read) would benefit someone like me. That and it's already spec'd with high grade components so I don't have to worry about upgrading later.
    But then I am also kinda interested in the new 2014 27.5 offerings from Trek and Giant, but if I do go that route I would have to resort to the lowest spec models at $3500+ because of my budget.

Also, at my height of 5'6", would the 26" Reign be a better fit, or not?

What route would you recommend I go?

Thanks in advance!

Picture Unrelated
    1. Go ride some bikes
    2. Buy the one you like best.
    3. Ride bike.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    If you're looking to spend $3000 on a bike, your options are pretty wide which opens you up to many other manufacturers that make excellent FS bikes. So you should definitely go out and try a few out before throwing down that kind of cash. I know thats easier said then done since not everyone has access to tons of bike shops that carry different brands. You can pick up a new Ibis Mojo SL Blend for around $2400. Technically a trail bike, the 2014 Giant Trance X3 650B runs around $2000. With a 140mm of travel, it can probably handle any All-Mountain duty you come across. A 2013 Rocky Mountain Slayer is around $2400 and you can also look into the Altitude 70
    Bottom line, you're going to end up with a very nice bike for that price range, but its about which one feels the best for you.

mtbr member
    You can get a pretty sick bike with great components brand new for $3k...
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

Fat-tired Roadie
    +1 to ride lots of bikes. Borrow your favorite for an extended demo if you can.

Also, keep your eyes on the prize. If you and your friends ride AM and you guys do most of your climbing on fire roads (or in a pickup truck) it would be short-sighted to compromise the bike's descending and flowline fun factor for a marginal improvement in climbing. Just make sure to get something with low gears.

$3000 at retail gets you a pretty nice spec. Figure out your priorities, and don't let a "good deal" draw you onto the wrong bike - hopefully you'll be living with the consequences of your decision, good or bad, for a few years. My guesstimate for myself lately is five.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    At your height I would go 27.5, is the best of both worlds.

Test some bikes, get what you like new or used.

Being a former Reign X owner I can say that is a great platform but recently demoed the 2014 Trance 27.5 and it blew me away, felt just like the Reign I had, pedaled great, quick handling and fast.