1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Bushings And Reducers

Well I have a Manitou Swinger 4 way and need a new adapter to fit it onto the bike, now is there any difference between Bushings and Reducers? The bike shop said they have reducers but no bushings. Also is there a cheaper alternative I need a m8x51/52mm and almost no LBS carries any Manitou parts and the ones that said they might be able to get it said it would cost 30$, I also looked online a bit and found 2, one selling for 11$ but 23$ shipping and another with 20$ and 23$ shipping .

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes, there is a difference. Here is a helpful image I found with a quick Google image search.

Try calling Manitou and ordering what you need. A complete set of bushings and reducers + two replacement bushings for my Fox Float was under $25 with shipping when I ordered it from them.

Here is a Fox RP23 with the bushings installed....

And one with bushings and reducers installed....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Here is the Swingers stock system:

So would I just need the reducers of my bolt size and length in order to fit it onto my bike?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by magixx
    So would I just need the reducers of my bolt size and length in order to fit it onto my bike?
    Right. If the bushings are worn, though, you might need to replace them. Reducers are specific to your bike, so if you call Manitou, they will ask for your bike model and year to get you the correct size.