mtbr member
    May 2006

bunny/j-hop help

I can get probably about a foot in the air right now. maybe a little more sometimes. I can also hop sideways off a curb and so on. I was just woundering, I think Im starting bad habits. I hop up pretty much all at once with the front and the back. I mean I pull up the front first, but my understanding was that its better if you do a manual or wheelie first, then push out the back. whenever I try that (asside from the fact that Im not that good at doign a wheelie and cant really do a manual for very long at all) I slip off the pedals and potentially, painfully hit my shins on my BMX pedals (I have a Rocky Mountain Flow 2.0)

any tips on bunny hopping/how to build balance to do a manual/wheelie?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    darn i thought you were doing that stuff with an XC bike

i'm practicing on my trek 3700 (40 lbs) so its hard for me to pull up. to go 10'' +

bmx should be so much easier, and fun.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dorsalis
    darn i thought you were doing that stuff with an XC bike

i'm practicing on my trek 3700 (40 lbs) so its hard for me to pull up. to go 10'' +

bmx should be so much easier, and fun.
    A rocky maintain flow 2.0 is a pretty heavy full sized bike...but it has BMX pedals, and is made for trials/dirt jumping, I use it for trails, because I ride them hard.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Check out this page, best bunnyhop tutorial on the web, IMO.

http://www.bmxbasics.org/new/bmx0703.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    rad, thanks for hte article

mtbr member
    May 2006
    yea, thanks...

There's no app for this.

thoughts

if you're slipping, get some decent shoes with sticky soles like 5-10's. If you're wearing the wrong shoes, expect to slip. Lots.

check out (search) for the flowmaster video on this forum.

check out Jay Hoots here: http://www.nsmb.com/trail_tales/askh...unny_04_03.php

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    doing a complete front pull on a mountain bike is hardest for me... i mean how do u do that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    combining a giant front pull with a great rear kick = big bunny hop right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes, that's the idea, and yes, it's hard to do on a mtn bike. I had a real hard time doing it on my XC bike but on my slalom bike with a short stem and smaller frame it practically pops the front up on it's own. Actually, last weekend I was flying down a fireroad and jumping off the waterbars.. I got to a smaller bump and just pulled up a little and ended up doing a manual at 30mph down the fireroad. Freaked me out since I can't really manual yet and luckily I remembered to grab the rear brake quickly.

Anyway, you'll be limited somewhat by the type of bike you have. You can still do it, but not as high/easily. Flowmaster's video linked above goes into some modifications you can make to help you out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    is manualling with a mountain bike harder? or do i just suck and need more practice? i cant manual or wheelie, standing or sitting its hard for me to find the balance point on my rear wheel

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dorsalis
    is manualling with a mountain bike harder? or do i just suck and need more practice? i cant manual or wheelie, standing or sitting its hard for me to find the balance point on my rear wheel
    Both? I can barely wheelie and I've been practicing for months. And I really thought I had good balance before from rock climbing. Totally not applicable I guess.

The other day I was playing around on a friends BMX and almost flipped back on my head trying to pull a manual, it was so easy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarpa
    Both? I can barely wheelie and I've been practicing for months. And I really thought I had good balance before from rock climbing. Totally not applicable I guess.

The other day I was playing around on a friends BMX and almost flipped back on my head trying to pull a manual, it was so easy.
    thanks for the help guys.

humm. My bike (Rocky Mountain Flow 2.0) is more of a skate part/trials bike. its still 19" though, and heavy. but its sipposed to be positioned to do this stuff easier. I can wheelie for maybe 3 pedals. I was also practicing going really slow along the curg on a sidewalk, then lifting the front and setting it down off the curb, then lifting up the back and doing the same. then I added some speed and made it sort of a side hop. The other thing I was doing was going slow, and lifting the front up over the curb, and then lifting the back before it hit. But I need to stand tall more like that article that was linked. Im pulling way too much with my arms right now. I j-hopw is just where you manual for a while, the pull the back up, right? I have good balance sideways, but I cant manual/wheelie worth crap.