1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Bonking ... not feelin' well Bunny-hop troubleshooting

I've been trying to learn to bunny-hop lately and realized that the only time I get my back tire off the ground is when I catch some air off a ramp or drop-off. This is very frustrating. I've tried most techniques listed but I can't seem to get it. Anyone have any suggestions?

My other ride is your mom
    have you checked out the Bunny Hop Tutorial Sticky in this forum yet?

mtbr member
    Learn to lift your rear tire first by itself.

People kept on saying "use your feet" but I never got that... until I was told that you basically point ur feet down and push back on them, essentially gripping the pedals. Lift your rear tire like that and practice... the proper motions will come, trust me.

mtbr member
    Practice. Patience. And more practice.

Besides the sticky... go YouTube. Tons of tutorials out there.

A true bunny hop is a complex maneuver. You are most likely missing out on either the actual jump (timing of stretching the legs) or on letting the bike come up (timing of bending the legs after you stretched them to get a lift momentum).
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

W'bu V Peddler
    I conquered the bunny hop by watching people and the sticky on here but I also thought back to the BMX part of my adolescence and I figured it out, but now with clipless pedals bunny hopping is so easy. There is still a little of technique involved. Many of cuts and bruises before I got it...I'm still not as good as I would like to be though. +1 on the practice like the others said...
    09 Titus Motolite...
    Sram X-7 Group (for now)
    Clark Skeletal Brakes
    Truvativ Stylo Crank
    Crank Bros Pedals

Underskilled
    I did a long thread on how to do this before, can't be bothered to do it again, so use the search.

To sum up you do not pick up the back wheel.

stand next to your bike, quickly pull the front a couple of feet into the air THEN a couple of feet forwards, look where the back wheel is.

now do that on the bike.

Underskilled
    bunny hopping with clipless just exagerates bad technique, if you are pulling the back wheel in the air you are not bunny hopping, just pulling the back wheel into the air.

do not pull the back wheel up until it is already in the air and moving fast, trust me.
    probably worth concentrating on not pulling the back wheel up at all until you are consistently making it float with the above technique.

I can comfortably pull by DH weight FS bike into the air on flats while stationary. It weighs too much to pull into the air, so needs technique.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    bunny hopping with clipless just exagerates bad technique, if you are pulling the back wheel in the air you are not bunny hopping, just pulling the back wheel into the air.

do not pull the back wheel up until it is already in the air and moving fast, trust me.
    probably worth concentrating on not pulling the back wheel up at all until you are consistently making it float with the above technique.

I can comfortably pull by DH weight FS bike into the air on flats while stationary. It weighs too much to pull into the air, so needs technique.
    I agree with this.

Clipless masks bad technique; learn to bunny hop with platforms first,

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks, I have seen the tutorial and I'm still having issues. I will try not pulling up though and see where that gets me. One of my other issues I discovered though is that my feet keep slipping off the pedals. I ride in skate shoes with stock pedals, should I invest in something else?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What do the stock pedals look like?

Especially after looking at tutorials it's easy to over think it. A bunny hop needs to be one fluid motion. A good way to practice is to just put a brick down on the street, and practice hopping over it. Once you can do one brick, add another.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    No your shoes should be fine.... Not sure why your feet would be slipping off. Are you pointing your toes down or something?

Do you have a BMX bike to practice with? Are you lowering your seat while practicing?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    That's a good idea, thanks. And the pedals are those ugly, black plastic with reflector strips. When I get access to a computer I can post a picture.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by norwish
    And the pedals are those ugly, black plastic with reflector strips. When I get access to a computer I can post a picture.
    No need, I know exactly what they are. While you can learn with those, proper platforms will make things much easier. If you buy something new, platforms work better than cage pedals. If you can spend a little money, buy the Wellgo MG-1 pedals, as they're very light for platforms, but are still durable and provide excellent traction.

Platform:

Cage:

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by norwish
    I've been trying to learn to bunny-hop lately and realized that the only time I get my back tire off the ground is when I catch some air off a ramp or drop-off. This is very frustrating. I've tried most techniques listed but I can't seem to get it. Anyone have any suggestions?
    I had the same problem.

Step 1: Lift the front (easy, pull the bars)

Step 2: Lift the back (not as easy, I'll explain later)

Step 3: Lift them both at the same time (you basically practice step 1 and 2 until you get the timing right).

Step 2: (this took me a while to figure out) With regular pedals you can't 'just lift' your feet. You kinda have to point them down (lean forward a little bit) and 'scoop' upwards to the back.

I asked my kid to draw a picture (ok, it was me...) of the basic concept. I hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmiller
    Do you have a BMX bike to practice with? Are you lowering your seat while practicing?
    no, I'm on a hardtail. Forgot to lower the seat though. I think I'll throw that into the practice next time.

mtbr member
    I found this trials vid to be a bit better than other vids I have watched:

Think Bikes Tutorials - 7 - The Bunny Hop - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That is a very good video and there other videos look very well done also. I will have to loop this video a bit and practice, practice, and more practice.

mtbr member
    Get that back wheel up. Thats the hardest thing, focus on raising the back wheel when jumping, even to the point where you might end up with nose-heavy bunny hops until you learn to balance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OSOK View Post
    Learn to lift your rear tire first by itself.

People kept on saying "use your feet" but I never got that... until I was told that you basically point ur feet down and push back on them, essentially gripping the pedals. Lift your rear tire like that and practice... the proper motions will come, trust me.
    This is a great idea. I do this for fun sometimes just while cruising along. It's not so much as point your feet down as this may be why you're slipping off. I have never ridden anything but platform and skate shoes. Stretch your body between gripping the handle bars and having your feet on the pedals. Have your weight and pressure applied to the pedals. You can ride along and with pressure on the pedals just kind of kick back and lift up with your feet and you'll cruise along on your front wheel while your rear comes up. But honestly... pulling up super hard on the handle bars while your raising your body and that bike should come up easy. Did anyone ask yet? is your bike heavy? Either way, small 6" bunny hops should be constant to begin with.

mtbr member
    You are basically trying to pull back and up with your feet. Once you figure it out it is second nature.

Whenever your practicing put your seat as low as you can. Another thing I did when I was a kid, learning the bunny hop, was to set up a shoe or cereal box to try and hop over. Something that won't wreck you if you run into it.