1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Building up a Free 2000 GT Avalanche Frame

So i was given a 2000 GT frame in a monstrous size by a local forum member here. I'm supposed to be building it up for doing the Muddy Spokes club with a few friends.

It is a bare frame that is stripped of all paint down to bare metal.

I knew my budget was going to be as cheap as possible to get it riding to begin with. There are several of them that aren't going to be very rough on a bike at all so i will have time to slowly upgrade where necessary for the rougher ones in the end.

So let the jokes begin now I bought an almost complete Giant Butte (hahahaha giant butt hahahahaha) It was in purple none the less but it got me.

Wheelset
    Shifters
    Brakes
    Levers
    Bar
    Cranks
    Derailleurs
    Maybe BB (i haven't measured shell width yet)

Yes they're all cheap entry level parts but I got the whole thing for $30 and I just need something to ride to begin with.

By my Calculations i still need fork, headset, stem, maybe BB, chain, cables, housing

Birthday coming up can't spend too much but here's what i'm thinking.

Suspension corrected rigid fork (preferably one with disc brake mounts for future upgrade to wheels)
    Origin 8 threadless headset
    Not sure on the rest but just looking for thoughts. I know these parts don't really do this frame justice but $ is the initial build factor.

I have a couple of road bikes that i regularly ride on so this is solely for the state park thing to begin with.

I will update the thread as things progress.

If there was another place this thread should go feel free to move it there

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwooly View Post
    So i was given a 2000 GT frame in a monstrous size by a local forum member here.
    I'm concerned that "monstrous size" means "doesn't fit". Please tell me that's not the case and you know what size it actually is/fit that particular size. It's not worth putting a dollar into it if it doesn't fit you.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    It does fit. or at least it will once it's a bike again and not just a frame. It was their largest frame that year i think it's 22" but i can't remember off the top of my head.

I'm 6'4" it was too small for the guy who gave it to me that's 6'8"

I just realized that i left off Seatpost and saddle for stuff i still need.

Picture Unrelated
    It does fit. or at least it will once it's a bike again and not just a frame. It was their largest frame that year i think it's 22" but i can't remember off the top of my head.

I'm 6'4" it was too small for the guy who gave it to me that's 6'8"

I just realized that i left off Seatpost and saddle for stuff i still need.
    Just had to make sure! Have fun, it's a good process to go through.

mtbr member
    Cant wait to see it built up and back in action.

The GT has a 68mm bottom bracket but if that Giant is steel it probably has a 73mm BB. You'll just need 2 2.5mm bottom bracket spacers, most shops should have them.

If you get a threaded 1 1/8th fork you'll be able to use your existing headset and stem, otherwise we've got a ton of threadless stems at the shop and headsets can be found pretty cheap. Look for low end Cane Creek over the Origin 8 unless you're worried about color matching parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    nice i will need to make it by the co-op for a stem then. I'm going to go threadless cause the options are more open down the road with that route.

Thanks for the advice on the cane creek over the origin 8.

I can't wait to get it built up and take it for a spin. I rode my bro-n-law's walmart MTB around my folks yard which isn't exactly a mountain but isn't flat either. Forgot how much i loved having to be standing up on the pedals and actually working a bike.

Then i called that ride quits after i tried to complete a faceplant due to an unseen sinkhole in the yard. DOH!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm now wondering what diameter seatpost and what type of clamp i need. I remember reading that aluminum frames use something different than steel.

Picture Unrelated
    I'm now wondering what diameter seatpost and what type of clamp i need. I remember reading that aluminum frames use something different than steel.
    When building any bike up, a caliper is an indispensable tool. Harbor Freight has cheap ones, just make sure whatever you get reads in the units you need (typically metric).

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    A little google-fu combined with a spare seatpost i had from another CL bike purchase and now i have seatpost and saddle. it's aparently 27.2 the same as the trek 2000 aluminum road frame that the post came out of.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm beginning to wonder if this might not be a Zaskar frame. The 7005 markings on both dropouts seem weird for an avalanche since they were made of 7000 aluminum. But the Zaskar was easton 7005 elite. anyone have any insight on this. It was already stripped of paint when it came to the person i got it from. Are there any other ways to identify what model the frame originally was?

Or maybe it's a 2001 avalanche.

mtbr member
    I could never figure out exactly what it was when I had it built up. Definitely not a Zaskar since they didn't make XXL Zaskars.

It's either an Avalanche, Rebound, or Ricochet iirc. Seems like the frames were about the same

Master Shredder
    Fork: Rockshox XC28 (Plz don't go cheaper than this)
    Chain: KMC
    Cables: Jagwire
    Pedals: Sun Ringle Zuzu (You need to upgrade those plastic pedals >.< )

good luck! let's see pics when it's done!
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

Nor­wegr
    Maybe the A in the serial stands for avalanche?
    Got an Avalanche 2.0 frame from 2001 sitting in the basement actually.

Nor­wegr
    I dug up my Avvy frame and the serial is formatted the same way with the A at the beginning and the 7005 at the rear, welds and everything appear to be identical aswell.

If you want to be really sure I could go full retard with a measuring tape/contraption.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nah i'll take your word for it.

It is finished for now and it did it's job well. I will try to take some better pics at some point.

Link to it's maiden ride details

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 8miles near Cartersville | Times and Records | Strava

Flow like water
    Looks good from a distance. You work fast.
    Let's see it up close.

Did you get the t-shirt?