1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013

Building Goblin frame or Marlin

I am having trouble deciding on what to do.My current plan is to buy a Airborne Goblin frame and build it up with deore components,stans arch ex wheelset,random lightweight tidbits for cockpit etc and recon silver fork.I have always wanted to build up a bike and this would be a winter project piece by piece kinda deal. Im wanting a bike for occasional xc racing and constant recreational riding.But what would be a rough estimate of weight would be with these specs.I would like to go that route but that always leaves the question if it would be better to upgrade and build up my marlin.I just dont know if its worth dropping alot into my marlin.I would greatly appreciate advice or criticism from others

mtbr member

Re: Building Goblin frame or Marlin

Well thing is marlin isn't a "is it worth upgrading" bike, the frame is the same as the race 29er hts by trek. And imo just as worth building as the goblin frame..

That's if besides the crappy forks you like your marlin.

Think of it this way: spend money on the new frame or use the money you save from the new frame and apply it to buying even higher range components. Like forks, say go rebas or recon gold instead.

Goblin is nice frame but no better or worse than the marlin frame just different geometry.

Me I have a '12 marlin and only thing stock is the seatpost now. Need to get better forks (lbs gave me rs xc32 tk new mamba replacement forks at cost cause I hated stock forks so bad right away) but other than that my set up is exactly what I want and love it. Even for coil forks I like my xc32s but want to go air.

I run Alex wheelset with slx hubs, slx driveline except crankset is deore 590 hollowtech, and bb7 brakes on 180mm.

It comes to personal preference but don't rule out a frame just cause it was a entry level bike cause many time components are entry level, not the frame. If you want to build a goblin, build one, be an awesome build, want to go nuts on your marlin, go for it going to be sweet bike.

Now keep in mind building a frame that already comes with multiple levels on components isn't going to be most economical (trust me i choked when I saw what i have in my marlin). Like for $1k you could buy the airborne seeker that has better forks than u want, and the sram equivalent of deore (unless your talking slx,xt, or xtr). DON'T LET IT DISCOURAGE YOU from building bike the way you want, cause though I could have bought a better bike than I have for the money I have invested, I have a bike that is purely built by me, for me and I love it. Nothing like building ur own set up just as you want!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    For the price of a complete Airborne bike, I'd much rather just get the kit. The Marlin is a nice bike but everything adds up regardless if you upgrade and IMO, its not worth upgrading unless you really upgrade.

Do you already have the parts lying around? If not, the Goblin frame is what? $300? You'll be putting another $700 or so in wheels, tires, fork and components..if not more. You'd probably go over the $1200 retail price tag of the Goblin and you'd be getting a Reba instead of a Recon fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It it almost allways cheeper to buy a compleat bike ,bike makers get huge discounts on parts. I've built bikes up ,they were nice bikes ,my last bike came built easier and cheeper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A fork, like a Reba dual air or Manitou Tower Pro, 250-350
    A light stiff wide front wheel like an ArchEx/Hope Pro2 Evo, 138
    A front SLX brake, 70
    A Nobby Nic Performance front tire. 37
    The front end of your Marlin will be better than an X-Cal.