1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Building a bike from the ground up? Better value?

Hi all,
    I currently ride a 2011 Diamondback response sport with just upgrade in handlebar and tire, a perfect starter bike but I am craving for a better bike at the moment! My riding consist of trail riding/single track, no XC racing/DH/AM/DJ. I am 135LB, age 20 with 1 year of trails experience
    Building a bike from the ground up? Better value?-b510f44b-3751-4848-bedf-1486402b0791_zps5c090707.jpg
    So for the past month I been looking around, doing all my research and got the impression that $1300CAD budget still doesn’t get me much either for a Hardtail MTB. So I am thinking of building a bike from the ground up for the first time, piecing together with parts from UK online stores.

Here are the parts for $1000 Excluding the frame, headset, and touchpoints, am I heading the right direction?

Shimano SLX M670 10 Speed Triple Chainset
    Shimano XT M770 10 Speed Front Mech
    Shimano SLX HG81 10 Speed Cassette
    Shimano SLX M675 10 Speed Shadow+ Rear Derailleur
    Shimano SLX HG74 10-Speed Chain
    Shimano SLX M670 SLX 10 Speed Gear Levers
    Rockshox SID RLT Solo Air 100mm Fork
    Shimano 525 Hubs - Stan ZTR Rims 26"
    Shimano Deore M596 Disc Brake Set & with RT66 rotors
    Geax Saguaro TNT Folding Tires

any comments would be appreciated
    Last edited by epic-gamer; 06-02-2013 at 06:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looks good to me. With the deals around on the SLX brakes, I think I'd go with them.
    Isn't the SID shock pretty expensive? Do you need that high end?
    Have you tried a 29er? Hardtails rock in 29.

mtbr member
    Have a look at Merlin.
    If you went with a 10spd Deore groupset and a Recon fork you might be able to build a bike for $1300. Those wheels Shimano 525 hubs and ZTR rims are a great deal.

You might have to pay import tax.

some frames here

I might spend a little more on the frame ie not buy the cheapest one I can find. Maybe a Piglet or a frame from On One. I see On One has Reba for $300 but post costs.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Looks good to me. With the deals around on the SLX brakes, I think I'd go with them.
    Isn't the SID shock pretty expensive? Do you need that high end?
    Have you tried a 29er? Hardtails rock in 29.
    I will have a look at SLX brakes
    The SID is only $22 more than Reba and it has the Motion Control DNA so thought why not
    as for 29er... I think I will just stick with 26" to save $

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are some more parts that you going to need unless you take them off the old bike,bars, grips,stem ,seat and post,pedals,cables,tubes . Bike makers buy a ton of stuff ,they get a better deal than you ever will .Maybe look into used or save longer and get a better bike.

mtbr member
    I recently did this.
    Frame $550
    Fork $250 Recon Gold (motion control)
    Wheels $200
    Tires $100
    Groupset XT $450
    Brakes XT $300
    Bar/Stem $80
    Saddle $80
    Post $80
    Grips $35
    Pedals $70
    Headset $50
    Labour $90
    Total $2335
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    There are some more parts that you going to need unless you take them off the old bike,bars, grips,stem ,seat and post,pedals,cables,tubes . Bike makers buy a ton of stuff ,they get a better deal than you ever will .Maybe look into used or save longer and get a better bike.
    Forgot to mention I am from Toronto Canada, so selection are fewer and way more expensive here....also used market is also quite dead here and inflated in price.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Do you plan on doing all your own wrenching, or taking all the parts to a bike shop to have them build it? If the former, you'll have to factor in the cost of some specialized tools (cassette lock ring tool, a chain whip, brake bleed kit, etc). If the latter...well, you'd still have to pay the shop for labor. Do you have a friend who also bikes and might have such tools?

Something about that fork on your DiamondBack looks...different. I know those things come with a cross country fork, and yet that thing looks like it's been stretched out to 140mm+.
    ~Always avoid alliteration.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NearlyFr...ew=0&flow=grid

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Re: Building a bike from the ground up? Better value?

Last couple of bikes I've had were built up. It's more fun to mix and match parts if you ask me. But of course, sometimes whole bikes come up where 90% of the parts are great and when that happens it's better to buy whole.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    I recently did this.
    Frame $550
    Fork $250 Recon Gold (motion control)
    Wheels $200
    Tires $100
    Groupset XT $450
    Brakes XT $300
    Bar/Stem $80
    Saddle $80
    Post $80
    Grips $35
    Pedals $70
    Headset $50
    Labour $90
    Total $2335
    good to know, I think I might spend as little as halve of what you spent on saddle,frame,grips, headset,pedals,post. all for super sales price.
    For the Frame I have these 4 in mind
    On-One Scandal
    CUBE LTD Pro
    Merlin Malt 3
    2012 GT avalanche 3.0 frame
    what do you think?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post
    Do you plan on doing all your own wrenching, or taking all the parts to a bike shop to have them build it? If the former, you'll have to factor in the cost of some specialized tools (cassette lock ring tool, a chain whip, brake bleed kit, etc). If the latter...well, you'd still have to pay the shop for labor. Do you have a friend who also bikes and might have such tools?

Something about that fork on your DiamondBack looks...different. I know those things come with a cross country fork, and yet that thing looks like it's been stretched out to 140mm+.
    I am doing my own wrenching so yes I will spend 60 on tools, I need them anyways.
    LOL the fork is a Rockshox Tora 289 130mm U-turn that came stock! surprise!!!
    Building a bike from the ground up? Better value?-dsc04274_zps9f3ac436.jpg

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by epic-gamer View Post
    I am doing my own wrenching so yes I will spend 60 on tools, I need them anyways.
    LOL the fork is a Rockshox Tora 289 130mm U-turn that came stock! surprise!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04274_zps9f3ac436.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	804632
    Oh hey whadyaknow, the original picture becomes big enough to clearly see the RockShox logos on the forks. If only I'd clicked on it earlier.

A friend of mine has that bike, but with the stock fork. I'm sure a proper fork like that Tora changes the entire character of that bike.
    ~Always avoid alliteration.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NearlyFr...ew=0&flow=grid