1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Building Bike for the G/F

So I have a new g/f who is interested in coming biking with me She has a crappy wallyworld bike and hates riding it, so I'm going to put a nice one together for her. I don't have tons of cash and was looking at finding a used Trek/Specialized/etc hardtail and getting it cleaned up.

1) I have a Marzocchi MX fork with 100mm from my Kona, can I replace a solid fork with this?
    2) This guy has a 29er frame for sale *cheap*, can I run a 26" wheel in back till I find a good 29er? and will running the 29 in back and 26 in front screw things too badly?
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bik/1689422361.html

Any simple, blunt answers would be appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Might be cheaper to get her on something like this:
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bik/1692031926.html

There is a lot of cost to build up a frame. To answer you, yes, you can run 26" wheels on a 29er frame as long as you are using disc brakes (they are called 69ers for future reference). I see a lot of nice bikes on your Craigslist. Wished ours looked like that.

Anyways, unless you have all the components already to build that frame, I wouldn't bother. First you don't know if it will fit her good. Second, the cost would outweigh the finished results. You would actually save money buying a full bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    +1 on better buying a complete bike for what you are looking for. It will be cheaper.

Permanent Noob
    and 69'ers usually have the 9'er in the front! May not handle well the other way around???
    I'm beginning to overcome my "momentum issues" but even that is happening slowly.

MTB Name - Crustius Maximus

mtbr member
    I figured a complete bike would be easier, that frame deal just seems way good. I googled/searched on 69ers and 96ers and couldn't find anything about putting the 9'er in back and 6 in front...

Permanent Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
    2) This guy has a 29er frame for sale *cheap*, can I run a 26" wheel in back till I find a good 29er? and will running the 29 in back and 26 in front screw things too badly?
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bik/1689422361.html

Any simple, blunt answers would be appreciated.

Thanks
    I've never seen a 26 in the fron and 29 in the back. Always the other way around. 29" in the front to roll over stuff and the 26 on the tail end.
    I'm beginning to overcome my "momentum issues" but even that is happening slowly.

MTB Name - Crustius Maximus

nocturnal oblivion
    I figured the best mtb for a new & non-dedicated rider such as a GF would be an easier geared SS 29er hardtail. Give her some front suspension, just a cheaper shorter travel coil fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    How tall is your GF?

Isn't a 19" kind of a big frame?

mtbr member
    She's 5'10" with a 34" inseam, so I figured an 18/19" frame would work good
    I have a short travel (100mm) fork, if I get an older bike with a rigid one, is there any problems swapping them out?

Fat-tired Roadie
    My girlfriend's built like that too.

You may find it more difficult to get a good fit on a unisex frame. Torso length determines frame size, but the head tubes on 17" frames are frequently a little short to get the handlebars high enough to match where her long legs will put the saddle. Riser bars and a high-angle stem should help.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx