1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Build up or just buy new? Raleigh M40

So I have a 2002 Raleigh M40 frame, the front fork is completely boned. Worth it to replace and build up the bike or should I just go ahead and buy something new? The wife and I are starting to ride light trails and bike paths in town. After looking at fork prices, LBS told me they'd have to switch the head from threaded to nonthreaded. (Current fork is threaded) and total for RokShox fork plus labor and headset would be about $250.

Thoughts? I loved this frame when I rode it from 02-05, then bought a car and stopped biking. Thanks in advance.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Eh ... don't think it'd be worth spending $250 on. Just get it rolling and save your money for something better down the road.

Happy trails,

HP

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What kind of rokshox fork are they going to put on it?

I ride an M80 which I love. I swapped out the original rokshox Jett for a manitou match. Cost me $250 and I love it. It was cheaper then getting a new bike and works great for me.

If you are just riding bike trails do you really need a suspension fork? your LBS should be able to put on a cheaper fork if you just want to keep riding and save up for something better.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thank you very much. Here is a second question, I've been keeping an eye on craigslist and found this: http://cosprings.craigslist.org/bik/2341843786.html . Would it be doable to buy this and put the rear cassette/der from my M40 onto this? The parts look like they should match and the rear DR is in good shape. It would be about 200 to just get a new fork+headset installed on my older frame and this seems like a decent step up for effectively 100 extra. Any thoughts?

T.W.O
    If you like your bike it and enjoy riding it, I would just go ahead with the fork upgrade. That's far less cheaper than getting a new bike of decent quality. In most cases I am pro-getting a new bike, but with $250 even a heavily used bike won't be worth the money. Get the fork!

T.W.O
    Also, that CL ad you posted, is actually a good find. It's up for you to decide if you want to invest in your bike, or get a new one. It looks as if that is SS, and you asked about conversion. What shifting system do you have on your bike?

It may be more of a PITA then you think to go from SS to geared, and vice versa.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It looked like a good find. It's about a 2 hour drive so I'd like to know what I'm getting into before hand. The only thing I dislike about my frame is it's a BIT too large for me. (22"). This 19" has toptube 1" shorter than my raleigh so it should feel about perfect. If I could put the rear DR and cassette on it should be easy.

I have a Shimano Altus on the rear of my bike currently.