1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Bubble in Tube

mtbr member

Bubble in Tube

I found a tube I had left in the shed which means it went through winter and summer temps and humidity.

I inflated it to check on it and it held air but I noticed there was a big bulge in one part of it. Probably 3 inches long.

Toss it? Not a big deal? Ever seen that before?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like a weak spot in the rubber, and it will likely pop the first time it rolls over something abruptly. I would trash it.

Redcoat
    Defo trash it. Tubes dont cost a lot. Better safe than being stranded out in blue yonder pushing your bike back for miles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You shouldn't even have asked. Throw it in the garbage.

mtbr member
    I could tell you a long humorous (it wasn't at the time) story about a ride where I had a double flat and was literally eaten alive by a swarm of ravenous mosquitos, all the time running in circles with rims and tire levers pumping up tubes screaming and cursing the entire time. Orrrr...just throw it out

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Bubble in Tube

Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    I found a tube I had left in the shed which means it went through winter and summer temps and humidity.

I inflated it to check on it and it held air but I noticed there was a big bulge in one part of it. Probably 3 inches long.

Toss it? Not a big deal? Ever seen that before?
    It is fairly normal and not usually a problem when the tube is inside the tire. I see it on at least half of the tubes I have ever had.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Trail Ninja
    I see that in generic tubes a lot. It'll still do its job. Bulges like that just mean that there's varying thickness in that spot, which requires less force to stretch. It will conform to the shape of the tire.

One might think that area would be more prone to damage, but if anything pokes through the tire or you pinch it, other parts of the tube don't really stand a better chance of not puncturing. If anything, it might lose air over time a bit more, since the rubber used to make tubes isn't completely air-tight due to the pores, and the thinner part of the tube might lead to more leakage. That's only something you would notice over a course of several days though.

I don't believe cycles of cooling, heating, and varying humidity affects the rubber that tubes are made out of, most likely butyl rubber, like you think it would. I know that ammonia breaks it down and I don't believe it has any additives added into it that makes it resistance to ozone cracking, so exposure to outdoor air may deteriorate it. I think people are more or less saying to toss it more because it's old and neglected and how the dependability of the tube might weigh on their mind when they ride, and not so much because of the bulge.