1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Broken Sram X3 Trigger Shifter

Hello to all. I have a Hardrock Disc 29er which has a broken face on the left hand Sram X3 7 spd. trigger shifter. I figured I would go ahead and change it out. However, I was wondering if I should possibly change both shifters out to something a touch better.

Any recommendations for upgrades? Maybe something that offers a good "bang for the buck"?

If I upgrade both shifters to something else, will I have to make changes to any other parts on the bike?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You can buy X.7's cheap on Ebay, and if you get the 2011 models, they have the "zero loss" feature that was only present on x.9's in prior years. I have set of the older x.7s that I bought new for $32 and a set of the 2011 version that I think were like $48. They both work very, very well.

Wayne

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the info Wayne. I was eyeballing the X7's a bit earlier today instead of working.

However, since I only have 7 speeds on the bike I believe I would have to change out much more than just the shifters. I may just start doing that anyhow...

Former Bike Wrench
    Yea...those don't come in 7 speed (or 8 speed for that matter).

For 7 speed SRAM you have two options, the X3 triggers or you can go with 3.0 Grip Shifters. You can also use 8 speed shifters and lock out the last shift with the low (L) set limiter on the rear derailleur. The numbers will not line up (you get 2-8 in back) but it does give you the option of upgrading. I've seen 8 speed X5 trigger shifters on Ebay which would be a pretty big upgrade from the X3 versions.