1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Meeeeeeeep

Broken frame on Mongoose, new frame? or new bike?

My dad picked up a 2006 Mongoose XR comp full suspension 26" bike 3 years ago and I've been riding it most weekends for about 2 years. I stayed on XC trails for about a month and then started going on the harder trails, I guess you'd call it all mountain. Well the lower suspension arm broke in half and now I am looking for either a new bike or a new frame.

I ride pretty aggressively, and I find that I am constantly adjusting my bike to keep it in good shape. I am on my way to college in the fall and I don't have a ton of cash to spend. I am pretty familiar with fully reassembling bikes as I've done it once before, so I think buying a new frame is a good option. I am only 5'10" so a medium frame (18"-19") would fit me best. I don't know too many good brands, so suggestions for a frame under say $200 would be great.

I guess a whole new bike might be necessary, but from what I can tell, most of the parts on it aren't too bad.

Former Bike Wrench
    The XR Comp is a department store bike, it was never intended to be ridden aggressively. The fact that you got as much out of it as you did is pretty good.

$200 is not enough to but a trail worthy bike, and it is just enough to buy a hardtail frame. I'd get something like a Sette Reken frame and start saving money for a true full suspension bike ($800 minimum).

Meeeeeeeep
    I guess I wouldn't mind a hard tail bike since I don't have a ton of money to spend. I was asking what bare frame I could get for around $200, used or new. What sort of compatibility issues am I going to run into when swapping frames? Are there any good full bikes for $400 to $500?

Blue Pig
    If you were a tad bigger, I would gladly sell you a 20 inch diamondback response frame you could build up over time and use for AM.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooms101
    I guess I wouldn't mind a hard tail bike since I don't have a ton of money to spend. I was asking what bare frame I could get for around $200, used or new. What sort of compatibility issues am I going to run into when swapping frames? Are there any good full bikes for $400 to $500?
    Jensonusa has 2009 Jamis Dakar XCT1 frames for $400 but it's designed for 130mm of travel up front so you'd also need to add a new fork to the price. Around $200 at Jensonusa for an RS Tora 302 OE takeoff. Budget maybe another $300 or so for misc parts/pieces you'll need to get it into ride ready shape.

If you're looking to keep the budget low but get back to riding the frame that mtnbiker72 posted should work out for you. That frame is around $75 which will leave you some money for all the little things you'll need to get it into a full bike.

Here are a few things I can think of that you might run into with swapping frames:
    You'll likely need to get the head tube and bottom bracket shell faced properly - this can be done at a bike shop for a nominal fee.
    Make sure that steerer tube of fork is long enough for new frame.
    New cable housings will need to be installed on new frame.
    Might need adapters to make your existing brakes mount to new frame (and fork if it needs to be replaced).
    Cables on some low end shifters aren't easily replaceable so you might need new shifters if the cables are too short on new frame.
    Brake cables might need to be replaced if too short.
    If length of the chain stay is different from your old frame you'll likely need new chain, and if the cassette is worn you'll need to replace that also.
    Will you have a good chainline with the existing bottom bracket/crankset? If not you may be looking at needing a new crankset/bottom bracket.

Depending on how well things match up you could easily end up spending $500 or more even when starting out with the $75 frame. If you're not in a rush to get back riding you can scan through your local craigslist daily and you might run across a bike in decent shape that may just need a few parts replaced that you could pull off your existing bike.

Fat-tired Roadie
    You've already had the Sette Reken suggested, and there are a fair number of pics of good builds on that kicking around. Nashbar also sells some bare frames, for $99, and Performance Bike sometimes has options. For a little more, there are nice NOS frames on bikeman.com.

Compatibility issues are likely with the front derailleur, seat post and seat clamp. They sometimes also crop up with bottom brackets and headsets, and with forks. Finally, brakes can be a problem.

Can you post some pics of what's left of your bike?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

DynoDon
    here are some low priced frames, some people buy Motobecanes for the parts, you may find a FS frame cheap on E-Bay.. good luck..

http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...0Framesets-ATB

mtbr member
    If you have 500 to spend I would order this one it will be the best bike you can get in your price.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...e_600HT_xi.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...e_700HT_xi.htm

Meeeeeeeep
    I like that 700HT, I just might get something like that, thanks for the link! After talking to some people and seeing how much trouble it'll be too swap a frame, I'd much rather buy a new bike and have a shop adjust and fit it for me.

My girlfriend bought me a new bike, not sure about any details, will be here Monday; I can ride that temporarily. Budget isn't a huge deal since the investment is worth it. I'll have $600 or so to spend in about a month, so no rush.

Thanks a ton you guys! I might have ended up buying a frame and screwing myself over xD