1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Broken crank?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Broken crank?

I have a problem with my crank. When ever i pedal a full rotation it feels like my crank is slipping, almost like some threads are shredded.

Just tonight i checked out what the problem could be. What i did was i grabbed both cranks. I pulled one up and pushed the other one down. The cranks slipped away from each,(one went up and one went down), about a centimeter. I checked to make sure the blots were tight, which they were. So i switched them out with bolts from my other bike, but i had the same problem. I think what caused this is, i jumped a set of stairs that may have been to big to jump. It was a big impact, especially since i have a hard tale. My question is, what is wrong with my bike, and what do i have to do to fix it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What bike, what crank.

Rub it............
    Without any further information, it's possible you bent the crank arm and or spindle by landing that big jump.

Best thing to do is to visit your local LBS or a friend who knows bicycle repair.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would get the right tools and take it apart. Are they moving on the spline, or is it a loose ball bearing? You could have broken a bearing or a race.. Who knows. You won't know till you open it up. Post a pic of it. Thatll help us get you on the right track.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk