1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Breaking a chain with Park Tool IB-3

So I am trying to break my new Sram PC830 chain to fit my bike using the IB-3 Multitool and I can't seem to get the pin to budge. I tighten it down as far as I can possibly get it to go and it wont even start to slide. Ive checked some YouTube videos just to make sure I wasnt doing anything wrong and I am not. It seems like the pins just slide out with very little effort from what I can tell. Any idea how to get the pin to move? I know the tool is not a dedicated chain tool but its all I have.
    2013 Motobecane Fantom Team DS

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    On my motorcycle, I grind the pin with a rotary tool, then it pops quite easy

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If the pusher is lined up in the center of the pin you are trying to remove, and the chain is in the proper slot, try using a pair of pliers on the handle.

Just use light pressure. The pliers will give you a little more leverage and getting it to move might just take a hair more pressure than you are used to with just your fingers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    you just need to push it a little harder as long as the pin's lined up. it'll pop out.. just gotta force it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I ended up trying to push it through with all my strength and ended up mangling the threads on the chain tool. No the pusher was lined up right with the pin, and the chain was on the correct notch. Not the one used to free a tight link.

There has gotta be something weird with this chain.
    2013 Motobecane Fantom Team DS

mtbr member
    Chain breaker on that tool is JUNK! I know it's all you have right now, but trust me, pony up the $20 or less and get a dedicated chain breaker. It will pay for itself by saving LOTS of frustration. I use the CT-5 Mini Chain Brute and it works great. Small enough to fit in a seat bag or hydration pack but big enough to get the job done easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Probably drunk right now

I disagree...

Quote Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
    I ended up trying to push it through with all my strength and ended up mangling the threads on the chain tool. No the pusher was lined up right with the pin, and the chain was on the correct notch. Not the one used to free a tight link.

There has gotta be something weird with this chain.
    I agree that a multitool chain breaker isn't as good as a specific tool. But if everything was aligned properly, the pin should have given before the threads. Sometimes if it seems like I'm having to force the issue too much, I'll side load the link a little bit and try again.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Chain breaker on that tool is JUNK! I know it's all you have right now, but trust me, pony up the $20 or less and get a dedicated chain breaker. It will pay for itself by saving LOTS of frustration. I use the CT-5 Mini Chain Brute and it works great. Small enough to fit in a seat bag or hydration pack but big enough to get the job done easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    I agree that a multitool chain breaker isn't as good as a specific tool. But if everything was aligned properly, the pin should have given before the threads. Sometimes if it seems like I'm having to force the issue too much, I'll side load the link a little bit and try again.
    I'm going to agree with both of these. I have yet to find a multi tool with a chainbreaker I like so I carry the Park CT-5 with me. That also means I don't have to fiddle with the crap half length allen wrenches on most multi tools and I carry a Park AWS 10. The CT-5 is also my work bench chainbreaker, it's a good little tool. But I can't understand how you blew the threads out of the one you were using. It sounds like something was misaligned somehow; hard to say without having been there.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

'Tis but a scratch
    I've got that CT5 too, but I've used all sorts of junky multi-tools over the years and if it had a chain tool on it, I was able to break the chain. The picture I attached is how this IB3 should be aligned properly. I don't love the look of the lever used to crank it, but I would think that would break the chain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Breaking a chain with Park Tool IB-3-park-ib3.jpg  

mtbr member
    I used the chain breaker on my IB-3 once. It broke. I emailed Park, they sent me an entire new tool. Now I have two tools minus one chain breaker so I can have a tool on each bike. Even if the tool is junk, at least Park Tools backs it. Shoot them an email, they'll make it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.