1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Breakage in the Spokes

So I am just getting into riding harder and I expected things to start breaking but just not so quickly. I am a complete newbie when it comes to fixing my bike although I am learning as I go.
    I was riding along a trail yesterday and out of no where a stick/branch decided to get in my spokes and popped two of them out. So, can I fix this and how difficult is it?

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Good question, I could use this info. too.
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I think it's a piece of cake, but I took a little time to learn how to do it. A spoke wrench is the only special tool I recommend. Do a little reading on how it's done and give it a whirl. It's just common sense if you think about it and have a small amount of mechanical aptitude.

A little verbose, but a decent read:

http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/skills/spokes.htm

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Depending on where the broken spoke is, you might need a cassette lockring removal tool and a chain whip to get the spoke threaded in...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    it shredded out of the wheel. The piece that anchors the spoke in the wheel in broke.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by swmarc
    it shredded out of the wheel. The piece that anchors the spoke in the wheel in broke.
    For further reference, that thing is called a nipple.

I suggest you buy some new spokes if the ones you have look pretty bent.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ok so I got two new spokes and nipples( thanks for that) and I have trued the wheel of wobble but now there is a hop in the wheel. It isn't horrible, and probably wont even noticeable if I ride on it. Should I worry about it?.

mtbr member
    There are two parts to wheel truing: lateral true (wobble) and radial true (hop). Generally you work on one and then work on the other, until they both are right on. It may take several adjustments to get them both right.

mtbr member
    I resource that I highly recommend comes from a friend of cycling that we lost this past year. Sheldon was absolutely brilliant and published much information for cyclists to use.

http://sheldonbrown.com/

Check out the section on wheels. Go right into the wheel building section and it will answer all of your questions.