1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Brand spankin new to biking!

Hello all!

My wife and I are finally at the point where we are ready to purchase our first MTB's. This is something that I have been wanting to do for a few years now, especially since I stopped motorcycle racing a couple years ago.

We have been to a few local bike shops around us and have yet to decide on anything! I have done what research I could online but I don't really know where to start since I do not know a whole lot about what I should be researching.

We are planning to do some simple trails that our daughter will be able to go on with us, I do plan on eventually taking my bike on more technical trails and would like to get a MTB that I know can handle it.

At this time I am considering the Trek X-Caliber 4 which retails for $550.00. With that said budget is a concern at this time since we are buying two bikes. I am looking to stay under $600/each bike. I have read that at this price range that it would be better to look for a used bike, but again I do not know what to look for on craigslist/ebay (as far as what bikes are good/bad).

The one thing that I do know is that I am wanting a hardtail with disc brakes and 29" wheels

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Go to you local bike shops and ask for "last year" model closeouts. Even if they don't have any in store they can look them up on their computer. HUGE savings!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Your money can go farther with used bikes, but there are also advantages to buying from your local-ish shop, particularly as someone new to the sport. Putting you on a bike that fits correctly is a big one. I'm willing to bet you would be able to work a price break since you're going to be buying 2 bikes at once, and a lot of shops will also offer a discount on accessories if you buy a bike from them.

Performance-wise, you're not going to see big differences between mountain bikes in that price range across the major companies. You might find, though, that one bike just feels better to you than another. (Your wife may feel more at home on a completely different bike.) Try to test ride a few different bikes each, get the ones that feel best, from the shop you think you'd feel the most comfortable coming back to for advice and service.
    Sinister Bikes
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    Go to you local bike shops and ask for "last year" model closeouts. Even if they don't have any in store they can look them up on their computer. HUGE savings!!!
    Best advice ever! That's how I manage to get quality bikes and parts for cheap almost every year. No need to always have the "last years model".

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    Hello all!

My wife and I are finally at the point where we are ready to purchase our first MTB's. This is something that I have been wanting to do for a few years now, especially since I stopped motorcycle racing a couple years ago.

We have been to a few local bike shops around us and have yet to decide on anything! I have done what research I could online but I don't really know where to start since I do not know a whole lot about what I should be researching.

We are planning to do some simple trails that our daughter will be able to go on with us, I do plan on eventually taking my bike on more technical trails and would like to get a MTB that I know can handle it.

At this time I am considering the Trek X-Caliber 4 which retails for $550.00. With that said budget is a concern at this time since we are buying two bikes. I am looking to stay under $600/each bike. I have read that at this price range that it would be better to look for a used bike, but again I do not know what to look for on craigslist/ebay (as far as what bikes are good/bad).

The one thing that I do know is that I am wanting a hardtail with disc brakes and 29" wheels

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Zergling... nice.

My opinion is that you've done just fine. If the xcal feels good, go for it. It's in your budget and it will meet your needs.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I really appreciate this thread. I am a complete newbie to riding myself. At least a newbie in the sense that I haven't been on a bike since I was a teenager. We have made a commitment this year to make a difference in our exercise level and overall health. I know that it can cost a few dollars in order to purchase the bikes and the necessary equipment to get started. Before we move forward and end up wasting our money, we thought we should check out some information online. I really appreciate you folks takin time and energy to offer the excellent advice you have.

mtbr member
    It is a good thing you are doing your research first. That is wise. So many folks get all set up and wonder why what they have doesn't work for them. It is good you also have an appreciation for the fact that it is going to cost some money, but also has great benefits for your health and well being.

mtbr member
    I would see if you can bump up to the xcal 5 if at all possible (just flat out ask for a deal or for last year's model)

The 4 has a 75mm travel fork instead of 100 and downgrade in the wheels. Just my opinion