1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Brand new to MBiking!

Hello everyone! Brand new MBiking, and I must say I am very excited, I originally wanted a bike just to ride with my 5 year old, but as I started researching, I realized that this could actually be a wonderful way for me to get out of the house, and get it great shape! I am 27 6'0 190lbs, and actually in pretty decent shape to begin with, but I just bought a bike off ebay, and was wondering if any of you can give me some info as to if I made a good choice. Thanks.

Here are the specs. I know its a singlespeed, but after researching a bit I think it will be the best choice for me. BTW I got the bike for 250 bucks..

Specialized S-Works Hardtail M2 SingleSpeed frame (20.5” - XL) with a Surly rigid fork. Components are all modern parts and include: Mavic 717 rims, laced with butted spokes and alloy nipples to XT hubs. Specialized “The Captain” folding 2Bliss tires*. FSA seat post, bars*, stem, and sealed bearing headset. Shimano LX crank with RaceFace outer guard*. Surly Singleator*. Deore V brakes, and a Selle Italia Titanium saddle. Specialized Enduro grips*. 36/18 gearing.
    Last edited by dogo; 09-14-2008 at 11:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the sport

Hope you will enjoy it like we all do

mtbr member
    welcome to the forums and to mtb'n!!

i dont think you got hurt on the bike at all sounds like a solid ss you may in the future go with a suspension front fork with disk down the road. but for now get out there and hammer that single cog!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    dogo, sounds like a cool bike-good frame and components and a very reasonable price.. good luck with the sport!! have fun out there!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thanks guys! I'm stoked I can't wait for it to arrive..