1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Brakes?

Single Speed Junkie

Brakes?

Have been riding for several years and have successfully done many advanced trails, but have never really felt very confidant approaching large obstacles or deep corners with out grabbing the brakes first to scrub some speed immediately before. I am a bit embarrassed to ask this after all these years, but how does one learn to ignore the little voice that is already grabbing the brakes even though you know that you want maintain momentum not scrub it away.

"The Freak Show"
    I'd say to get as much riding in as possable. I belive that you just have to do. I cant think of any other way than to just take a chance and get over whatever is holding you back. Sorry if this dosent help much.
    Go big or go home in a wheel chair!
    Info on 2011 racing season

lurker no more
    Get some body armor, that seems to help somewhat as well. Some one's signature also had an idea too. It went, "Committ or eat $hit." I tend to agree if you're going to go for something big. I'm in the same boat as you and recently bought a bigger bike for the purpose of more gnarly stuff.

mtbr member
    I have the same problem as you, i often times just make myself grab the grips and leave the breaks alone, this isnt to say that i dont fall on my face every once and a while.