1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

The brake rotor on my bike scrapes against the caliper

This was after I bought the bike brand new... The LBS should have made sure this didn't happen, but is there any way I can adjust this myself? This is my first bike, and I think this is robbing me of some speed and even wearing down my disc brake components.

mtbr member
    Loosen the two screws that secure the caliper to the frame
    Squeeze the brake lever
    While holding the brake lever in, tighten the screws (a little at a time alternating back and forth between the two screws)

When they are tight it should rotate freely.

Rarely, it will still rub and you might have to try it again. If it still rubs after the second time you try this then you have to manually slide it until there's no rubbing then tighten it down.

Also, make sure your disc isn't bent or warped.

Few bike shops will ever care about your bike as much as you do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks, I'll try that. I hope my rotor isn't bent, Ive only ridden the bike at a trail four times...

mtbr member
    I've never bent a rotor. Its most likely just the caliper assembly needing to be re-positioned. I've had to adjust mine several times. Works like a charm.

Cheaa
    I just recently fixed my scraping rotor as of 5mins. ago. My rotor was bent slightly but the brake pad was put in backwards lol....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If they are mechanical brakes, only the outside pad moves. In that case, you may want to slide a business card (or similar) between inside pad and rotor, then follow tshulthise's directions. If it's only rubbing in a couple spots, you need to true the rotor.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Rotors bend and warp pretty easily. I'm surprised when I hear someone's never done it - I'm not a very big guy, and have done it a couple of times badly enough to bother fixing.

If the rotor scrapes the whole time, follow one of the above procedures to recenter your caliper, or go to the manufacturer's web site and find the manual.

If it's once per revolution and doesn't really slow down the wheel, IMHO, not worth the trouble. If it's once per revolution and creates significant drag, you should fix it. Figure out the spot where it's rubbing, then use a crescent wrench wrapped in a rag to bend it in the other direction. Start small - you don't want to overdo it or, worse yet, destroy your rotor.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

T.W.O
    yeah i was surprised when i did it on my xc bike that i didnt even ride hard on.. and its bad... good excuse to upgrade though as rotors are a pain to true back straight or even cant sometimes
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Fat-tired Roadie
    ^^^
    You're going to be buying a lot of rotors.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

T.W.O
    I'm like 170 too.. like wtf.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)